Black Angel Fire motor kit died on first break in run!

GoldenMotor.com

JayZee

May 28, 2014
Nebraska
I managed to put my kit together on my Schwinn Riverside correctly. The kit is the Black Angel Fire 66cc kit from bikeberry. I put 16/1 gas/oil ratio (maybe a tat more), had to use 89 octane with 10% ethanol (can't avoid that stuff here), and lubed the sprocket good just in case. Took it out for a test drive, and it fired right up. I went putting around (i live in the country) a few back paved roads. I kept it at half throttle most of the time, except when a unknown dog started running toward me barking. I gunned it for about 1 minute til the dog gave up pursuit. Unfortunately I had to head back that way and the same happened. (I didn't want to run it full throttle during break in so I wasn't happy). A few minutes after the 2nd full throttle getaway (after slowing to turn a corner) the motor just died on me. I started to diagnose. First I thought the compression might have been compromised but when walking the bike, the motor turns over so hard it drags the rear tire. Next was fuel (and like many others it leaks at the connection of the tank to valve), but fuel flowed freely. I then took the spark plug out and it was covered in oil (oil was leaking out of the exhaust as well). I cleaned up the plug to check for spark and didn't get anything I could see. A oops on my part I did forget to isolate the auxiliary wire from the magneto, but would that touching the exhaust cause the whole ignition system to fry? zpt

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Same exact thing happened to me. Your white wire touched your engine while it was on and.... Poof. Fried magneto. They are really cheap tho. If you want to make sure you can find cheap multimeters at Home Depot.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
hold the spark plug in your hand and your hand against engine - roll bike & see if you feel spark - if you do, your ignition is OK, so try to blow out engine by pedaling it with plug out till you don't see fuel blowing out the hole and then try a new plug

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Drain you fuel tank and carburetor and get rid of the 16:1 mix. (dump it in your car's gas tank) That's a good part of your problem. Mix a new batch of fuel using no more than a 24:1 ratio. Actually you can safely go down to a 32:1 mix and be just fine. There are pages of discussion here on that subject. 16:1 is too much oil no matter what the kit instructions tell you.

The white wire touching metal should not damage the magneto. In fact there are a lot of builders who use the white wire in the kill switch circuit. The white wire should be isolated (preferably removed from the magneto) so it can't touch any metal part but that is so it won't kill the engine. It won't hurt the magneto.

Clean the spark plug with a grease cutting solvent, even clean unmixed gasoline will work, gap it at .024 to .028 and try the bike again.

Tom

JayZee

May 28, 2014
Nebraska
I did hold the plug and spin the tire and not a whimper lol. I didn't even feel current going through my hand. I double checked the wiring and its all good. I am going to replace the plug since they are crap anyways. I pedaled several times and dumped the clutch with ether sprayed in the cylinder, and then dry to make sure it wasn't flooded. No such luck yet :-||I will thin out the gas as much as I can in my little 1 gallon tank and see if that helps to.

I will get a new plug and if that doesn't fix the problem and no spark then I might as well order a new coil and Magneto.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ether in the engine is a bad idea. The only lubrication the engine gets is the little bit of oil that you mix with the gasoline to make the fuel.
Ether will dilute and rinse away any remaining oil that may have been inside the engine and leave only metal on metal contact, no lubrication.
Also, for the sake of proper lubrication, do as 2door suggested. Dump the current batch of fuel you have and mix up another batch at 24:1 or 32:1. Don't guess what ratio you will be left with by simply adding a random amount of gasoline to your current batch of fuel and hope that you will get lucky with the ratio.

This thread should help you out too:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090

JayZee

May 28, 2014
Nebraska
Thank you for the link. I hope I get the problem resolved soon. Summer is here and my little put put is fun to ride around! I can add a half gallon to my tank, and that would dilute it to 24/1 ratio. I couldn't get a NGK plug at the parts store so settled for a cross referenced autolite. I hope it will work OK. I called Bikeberry and they are going to replace both the magneto and coil for me. Despite the quality of the chinese parts (not their fault) they do have good customer service! :)

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have had difficulty getting spark plugs from autozone and pepboys.
If you don't have the year, make, model and engine size of the car they are clueless... Even if I go in prepared with both the spark plug number and NGK catalog number.
O'Rileys can get them for me each and every time, though it is always a special order that takes 2 days to arrive.

I am glad to hear that you received good customer service from bikeberry. They seem to have a bad reputation for terrible after sale support. Perhaps things are turning around for the better? I hope so.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you don't feel spark in your hand it isn't the plug - check CDI & mag coil (don't forget that kill switches sometimes short)

JayZee

May 28, 2014
Nebraska
I did have 2 problems ordering from them. 1 being missing a few parts in my kit, but they sent out the missing items right away which was nice. The other is now lol. I am just happy it won't cost me a penny to get the new magneto and coil! I just hope to God that is the problem because I want to start riding again lmao.

Yeah I figured it was the coil or magneto, but I haven't heard anything good about these cheap Chinese plugs lol. I made sure to disconnect the kill switch just to be sure, but still no tomato.