Electical

GoldenMotor.com

tinnes2

Apr 25, 2014
Wood Dale IL.
OK so i
I get my bike all set new mega motor kit on a huffy $25 yard sale find
run 1 tank 16;1 tweak some things spring chain tensioner boost kit (PVC)
changed out crappy spark plug cap with rubber and standard size clip
out on ride running great start to head home dies like it ran out of gas
cheeked gas flow fine thinking ok spark plug wet not dirty no spark
removed kill switch installed coil that worked when i put it on the shelf
still wont start

SO WHATS NEXT

PS sent an Email to bike berry

Andy Wood Dale il:-||:-||:-||:-||

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
usually, it is due to something shaking loose

check that main jet didn't fall out, head leaking, seals leaking, cracked insulator on spark plug, etc.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There are a few things with the kit system as is comes "out of the box".
The bullet connectors between the mag and CDI are garbage. These need to be cut off. Strip about 1/2 inch of the insulation off of the wires, twist and solder them together and cover them with heat shrink tubing. Electrical tape can be used instead of heat shrink tubing but it is messy if you need to do any more work later on.

The electrical connections at the mag coil are notorious for having bad solder joints. The factory tends to melt the solder onto them (called a cold solder joint) rather than heating them up properly to allow the solder to flow into them.
They need to be Re-soldered.

Side note:
16:1 is too much oil. Mix up a new batch of fuel at 24:1 using a quality pre-mix made for air cooled engines.

Do a search for "oil" on this site for more info.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The most common failure point that I've found in the magneto is where the coil is 'cold soldered' to the bracket it's mounted on. It seems to take a long time for my soldering iron to get things warmed up but I've fixed a few dead ones by resoldering that connection point.

Mag solder joint.jpg

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
It should be pretty easy to see if the magneto has burned through its insulation. I've seen many transformers and other insulated coils that remained relatively pristine after decades of regular use. If it still looks good, the culprit is typically a bad solder point connection. Another, less frequent occurrence: maybe a wire has broken loose inside its sheath somewhere, keeping current from reaching it.