Me, my first ukulele and Moonlight Bay

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
That's a toy. Anything costing less than $100 plays like a toy.

I bought my first Martin soprano in the 1970's for cheap. Now it's a classic.

Like motorized bikes, collecting and playing ukes can be fun, addicting and relatively cheap (well, it used to be cheap).

Like motorized bicycles they multiply, but are MUCH easier to store.

Keep playing, Nashville. LOL, you need the practice. Practice makes better.

Sometimes I play my uke at work during lunch hour. The alcove near the elevator used to be the smokers' room.

Now it's my music studio.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey Geezer, that's a really nice cigar box uke- got any videos?
I've seen a few fiddles like that on the fiddle forum.

5-7 Heaven is "cutting our heads" a bit- and trying to discourage us-
that's the beauty of the ukulele- and it's enjoying an EXPLOSION-

it's both cheap and relatively easy to play- specially if you know some guitar and theory
and a topic of converstation on the underground ukes forum:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?86670-The-cheaper-the-better
(I am hucklelele)

It's not really the instrument- I've seen those cigar box fiddles played twice as better than I will!

I'm furthest on classical guitar myself, but better on keys these days as well- lost my piano in the flood a few years ago.

It's a great age to learn an instrument or MORE- all the chord cvharts are on the net, and lessons all over youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmkeFRH7Yos

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey Geezer, that's a really nice cigar box uke- got any videos?
I've seen a few fiddles like that on the fiddle forum.

5-7 Heaven is "cutting our heads" a bit- and trying to discourage us-
that's the beauty of the ukulele- and it's enjoying an EXPLOSION-

it's both cheap and relatively easy to play- specially if you know some guitar and theory
and a topic of converstation on the underground ukes forum:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?86670-The-cheaper-the-better
(I am hucklelele)

It's not really the instrument- I've seen those cigar box fiddles played twice as better than I will!

I'm furthest on classical guitar myself, but better on keys these days as well- lost my piano in the flood a few years ago.

It's a great age to learn an instrument or MORE- all the chord charts are on the net, and lessons all over youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmkeFRH7Yos
LOL, nah, I'm not trying to discourage you at all. I agree it's a great age to learn an instrument.

I started serious lessons 8 years ago. I play almost daily, and my uke resides under my desk at work.

If you want quality sounds, you either pay a little more or build your own.

The uke you're playing looks like the ones that tourists buy in their hotel gift shop.

If you just want to fuss around, what you have will always be good enough.

FWIW, my everyday uke is a $120 Kala tenor (made in China).

Somedays, I like it better than my 35-year-old Kamaka 8-string uke ($1495).

That cigar box uke looks very cool.

Last edited:

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Thanks Guys, It was a pretty easy project... got the neck (concert size) as a kit so i didnt have to make the fretboard, just had to glue it onto the neck blank and sand. Accuracy is key in making one of these, making sure to get the scale right. Bridge and nut placement and hieght of both has to be right.

It's not as loud as my other ukes but does have a nice tone and it's an amazing conversation piece... everyone who see's it says something about it. Then i pick it up and play it and they are like WTH, you made that? :) ...same reaction i typically get with my bikes :)

Expensive instruments are not neccesary for the making of good music... skill in the art of playing music is

Agree that the internet is a wonderful learning tool... there are forums for most anything you'd ever want to learn about but very few of them are as good natured and truly as helpful as this one... THX Paul (^)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks Guys, It was a pretty easy project... got the neck (concert size) as a kit so i didnt have to make the fretboard, just had to glue it onto the neck blank and sand. Accuracy is key in making one of these, making sure to get the scale right. Bridge and nut placement and hieght of both has to be right.

It's not as loud as my other ukes but does have a nice tone and it's an amazing conversation piece... everyone who see's it says something about it. Then i pick it up and play it and they are like WTH, you made that? :) ...same reaction i typically get with my bikes :)

Expensive instruments are not neccesary for the making of good music... skill in the art of playing music is

Agree that the internet is a wonderful learning tool... there are forums for most anything you'd ever want to learn about but very few of them are as good natured and truly as helpful as this one... THX Paul (^)
I can imagine it's an awesome conversation piece, especially when played.

The internet is an excellent place to gather free sheet music and chords of favorite songs, especially the chords not often used.

What I do sometimes is tune in to my favorite radio station and play along with the song artists. As you get better, you'll be able to recognize the chords they're using. The main thing is to match the artists' rhythm and have fun.

Then the next step to having fun is to play.....in public, on a park bench or walking down the street.

What fun!dance1

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, I'm a ukulele or two richer now-
but haven't recorded anymore on that
the little $20 Badaax was a great place to start

still working on fiddle

had to patch my roof a bit, so I've been exhausted from that, and tree trimming

still working on classical guitar and just recorded this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8zKGL_H4&feature=youtu.be

maybe get some pictures of my new uke and fiddle posted soon