Riding in and around Phoenix?

GoldenMotor.com

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Does anyone here do any riding in the Superstition Mountains? I am considering "snowbirding" it down to Apache Junction for the Winter and I want to know what kind of trails to expect on the mountains. I can haul a motorcycle with me but I'm not sure about the trail riding laws and what is permitted. I can bring a bike for trails only or one to commute around Phoenix that is street legal but is limited to milder trails. Any advice would be appreciated. ..... D.J.

PS I am too "not young" for any extreme trails but I have 45 years of trail riding experience and balance like a Wallenda.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Az residents are required to have a OHV decal or plate. If your motorcycle or atv is registered for street then a ohv plate is not required.

As far as motorized bicycles needing a ohv plate? the verdict is still out on that I keep getting different answers.

This is what i found for out of state

NON-RESIDENT VEHICLE REGISTRATION and OHV DECAL: Whether an off-highway vehicle (OHV) operator is legal to operate an OHV in Arizona depends on the state that they come from. If the machine follows the OHV registration/insurance and sticker requirements of the operator’s home State then you may operate in Arizona for 30 consecutive days and you do not need an Arizona title plate, Arizona registration plate, or OHV decal to ride on unmaintained, existing, open, authorized routes on public lands in Arizona. You must abide by Arizona laws, rules, and regulations of course. For example, if you ride on State Trust Land you will need a permit from the Arizona State Land Department.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Just got off the phone with someone...

If you are legal in Canada for OHV use, then you be legal in AZ for up to 30 days.

If you are not, you will have to have a AZ inspection, titling and licence process in order to get a OHV decal. If you are legal, after 30 days you have to do it anyways.

Hope that helps

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Thank you for the info. I just went to my insurance agent to get the info from a Canadian perspective. My bikes and car would be completely covered and legal for a period of 3 months and no further insurance or change of venue is needed or required. This can be extended for a further 3 months but you would have to apply for a special permit. My insurance however does not have to be recognised by the Arizona officials. They are aware of our fully government backed insurance coverage but may make us comply to local ordinances just because they feel like it. The US government treats you as a new resident if you are there for more than 30 days and can insist you be locally accredited. ... D.J.