Opinions on this plug

GoldenMotor.com

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
So I installed a SBP expansion chamber recently and it recommended doing a plug test afterwards. I put in a new plug and drove up and down my road, but the plug just looked brand new every time I pulled it out. So this is my plug that I've been riding normally with and I am wondering if it is possible to judge the jetting off of just this plug. Another question, should a plug ever foul in its lifetime? (Haven't had that problem yet)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
plug looks reasonable to me - if the metal tang started to get white, I'd go richer

fouling depends on many things, but in a 2-stroke how much/what kind of oil seems most important to plug life

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
Well good thing I posted here, because I was thinking it was rich. I live in Houston which is barely above sea level so it makes sense to be lean. My C-clip is on the 3rd (center) notch. How will going richer affect performance?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd have to ask how much you've actually run that engine. "up and down the road" doesn't tell us much. You'll need a few miles at varying throttle settings then finally a WOT blast of at least 30 seconds, or more, to get anywhere near an accurate plug reading.

I'd research 'PLUG CHOP' to see how to actually get a spark plug color indication of what your engine is asking for. Initially, yours looks a little lean but without knowing how much the engine has run, that would only be a guess, at best.

Tom

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
I'd have to ask how much you've actually run that engine. "up and down the road" doesn't tell us much. You'll need a few miles at varying throttle settings then finally a WOT blast of at least 30 seconds, or more, to get anywhere near an accurate plug reading.

I'd research 'PLUG CHOP' to see how to actually get a spark plug color indication of what your engine is asking for. Initially, yours looks a little lean but without knowing how much the engine has run, that would only be a guess, at best.

Tom
To be more specific, this exact plug probably has about 30 miles on it. I tried to do a plug chop with a new spark plug, but my road is not long enough to get an accurate reading, and every time I checked the new plug, it still looked brand new.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
If it runs well, doesn't detonate, you should be good.

I ask again, what plug are you using?

I'm about 200 mi north of you and love my B7HS. I'm going to be installing a BPR7HIX tomorrow if I get to it.

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
An NGK BP6HS. I would like the mix to be perfect so I don't have to worry about heating issues while running WOT.