Engine-sprocket tight enough to dump clutch n start..then loosens..wont go!

GoldenMotor.com

motovator

May 16, 2012
Southern Maine
Engine-sprocket is tight enough to dump clutch n start then loosens..wont drive!

Went to take off on my 66cc GT5 and found that the front, engine sprocket had come loose to the point of falling out...held in only by the chain, and housing. When I tighten the sprocket/nut hard to the right, it allows the engine to start, upon dumping the clutch, but immediately the engine just revs..bike wont go. I have searched the road and cant find any pieces that may have fallen out. I hope to get some ideas to try from this posting. In the meanwhile I'll keep "searching" this site and also look for an exploded view of engine. Please help if you can. Thanks, Motovator.

motovator

May 16, 2012
Southern Maine
Hi. My 66cc GT5 , engine-sprocket loosened to the point of falling out, only the chain and housing was holding it in and the bike wouldnt drive.(of course). When I tighten it hard to the right, then dump the clutch to start, it will fire up the engine, but is immediately loose n just revs. I have searched the road for any parts that may have fallen out, but no luck. I'm hoping someone that sees this post can help me. In the meantime I'm gonna "search the site some more and also look for an exploded view of the engine. I hope you can help! Thanks, Motovator.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I've had the sprocket loosen up on me too...
First off, there is a woodruff key (half moon thing, see picture) that goes between the clutch shaft and sprocket that locks them together, you need to make sure that is in there. Next, do yourself a favor and put some blue loctite on the threads before you put the nut back on. When tightening this nut you need to lock the motor from turning in order to tighten it properly, most likely holding the rear brake isn't going to do it. To lock the motor I pull the gear side cover (opposite the chain) and then take a shop rag, fold over the sewn edge a few times to make a solid bunch of rag and put that between the big gear and the small gear so the wad of rag gets pulled in between the gears when you tighten that nut. If the rags are in a tight enough wad the gears will lock almost immediately, allowing you to tighten this nut down properly. When you stop tightening the rags should back out easily. Someone else had said the rags get stuck in the gears, I never had that problem, again, fold over the sewn edge/corner of the rag and use that.... You can also jam a screwdriver or other metal object between the gears to lock them, I prefer to use the rags...
I wasn't happy with using the spark plug tool to tighten this nut (after using it and having mine spin loose like yours) so I went to the hardware store and bought a real socket to use instead. I don't recall the exact size, but its metric, just bring either the nut or the spark plug tool with you to the store and have the guy match that size. You wont regret it...
With the woodruff key in place, loctite on the threads and a properly tightened nut you're sprocket should stay in place for you.....

Attachments

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Re: Engine-sprocket is tight enough to dump clutch n start then loosens..wont drive!

Two threads with the exact same topic? It's best not to do that. At any rate, I gave you some suggestions in your other thread.....

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
lol.i sometimes i think im in the same forum,its like a parallel universe.....
you know its illegal to fish with more than one rod,right?
all kidding aside,nightcruiser has nailed it right on the head.
i just read this same question on another forum,in case anybody thinks im nuttier than squirrel poop....

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Re: Engine-sprocket is tight enough to dump clutch n start then loosens..wont drive!

nightcruiser,

Groundhog Day the movie!

Chris
AKA: BigBlue