Engine Sprocket Problems: wont turn

GoldenMotor.com

Camphilips

Jul 30, 2011
dana point, CA
Hey, I just bought this brand new engine (RAW Silver 50cc Bicycle Engine Kit) and I have everything set on my bike right but when I the chain on and try to pedal, the sprocket on the engine wont move, therefor the whole wheel wont move and I cant pedal. Im really new to this and the kit came with no instructions. Ive been going off of what I see on youtube.

If you could please help and explain in the simplest terms, that would be so great of you.

thanks, cam
:-||

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Look at the engine's front sprocket area and see if the chain has gotten jammed up in that area (under the cover usually).

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It sounds like you have not adjusted the clutch cable correctly. You'll want little to no slack in the cable from the end where it attaches to the engine and the clutch actuator arm with the handlebar lever unsqueezed.

It is surprising to most new builders just how much force is required to disengage the clutch. It takes more than you can exert with your hand on the clutch arm. The cable will be able to pull that arm in enough to disengage the clutch if adjusted tightly enough.
Try this and get back to us if you can't free up that chain/rear wheel.
Do not start adjusting the clutch with the flower nut (right side of engine) until you have assured that the cable tension is correct.
Tom

slaughtaman

Aug 9, 2011
colorado
i can pull in the clutch and it ok... i start peddling to start the bike... am i only supposed to be able to pedal with the clutch pulled in??? or am i supposed to be able to pedal either way??? btw this forum has helped me alot with other stuff THANKS lol

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless the engine starts and runs pedaling with the clutch lever released will be very difficult indeed. If you want to pedal your bike normally pull the cluch lever in and use the lever lock to keep the clutch disengaged. There will still be some parasitic resistance,(drag) due to the drive components of the engine, chain and sprockets. Removing the drive chain is the only way to regain resistance free pedaling.

As stated above the clutch cable will need to be adjusted correctly to completely disengage the clutch.
Tom

circleball

Aug 24, 2010
south texas (sea level)
When your new kit arrives. Sometimes the parts have "seized" usually the clucth wont disengage.put it all together, pull and lock the clutch. take the clutch plate/cover off of the motor. LIGHTLY tap on the plate, then the gear. it should shake loose. i got mine loose but the damned thing wont do a full rotation in the crank case. i removed the cylinder body and it sill wouldnt turn a full 360*.

dakman

Sep 9, 2011
nz
I have a similar problem, even with the clutch plate removed it still wont turn over without a great deal of force ? any ideas anyone, I thought I was just going to be dealing with a clutch adjustment but this appears to be something else

circleball

Aug 24, 2010
south texas (sea level)
i ended up dumpind some oil in the engine through the breather holes on the sides, removed the magneto (the "U" shaped part) and turning the remaining roundish peice with some vice grips. It was tuff as nails but i put on a movie and turned it manually for about 30 minutes or so. finally it was worn enough that i got it to turn enough when i popped the clutch, and it fired up. But it was RougH !!! Really rough so i ran it for bout five minutes since it was SO stuck. i ended up having to put more oil than the break in calls for. any way after the second run, its is Smooooo, ooooth !! not threw the first tank yet but its going nice.