help me! Rear wheel locked

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Have you squeezed the clutch lever? If you have, and the rear wheel is still locked, you may want to see how your clutch arm on the engine is adjusted. It may not be disengaging enough. If that's not it, we may need more info.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Is it possible that perhaps the coaster brake is too tight? I'm just spitballing so that I can have a list of things to check tomorrow morning when I give it another shot.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Check the drive chain for binding under the front sprocket cover. This is a common occourance when the chain is too loose.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And please, don't start adjusting on the flower nut until you've checked and confirmed all of the other suggestions that you've been given. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to do it properly, screwing around under the right side cover could cause you more headaches than you already have.
Tom

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
And please, don't start adjusting on the flower nut until you've checked and confirmed all of the other suggestions that you've been given. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to do it properly, screwing around under the right side cover could cause you more headaches than you already have.
Tom
Only reason I said that was because the clutch on my engine came from the factory way too tight. But yeah, other things should be checked first. Could probably try pushing in the arm just with your hand to see if the bike moves then.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Without the motor's chain, the tire spun but with a bit of difficulty. Most likely because of the hub as someone mentioned above. Since the motor chain is on it now, I guess that clutch could be the reason why it fails to move AT ALL now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First find out why the wheel has resistance with the engine drive chain off. Fix that then do as suggested by Mozenrath. Try moving the clutch arm in by hand. You might be better off wrapping it with a rag so you don't hurt your hand. It takes a lot more force to disengege that clutch than most new builders think. It will move but it takes some pushing on your part. If the wheel rolls free with the arm pushed in then there is no problem except that you'll need to tighten the clutch cable. If it still doesn't roll free get back to us. There are several things you can try to free up a stuck clutch, which isn't uncommon on a new engine.
Tom

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
I took this picture Saturday after I realized I had the sprocket on backwards. >.> anyways.. as I said, the wheel turns, but with difficulty, and it doesn't free spin for long before it comes to a complete stop. I don't know entirely, but maybe you guys can tell from this image, the hub looks like it may need to be cut or perhaps a sprocket with a larger hole?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Is there a dust cover on the bearing? If so, looks like the sprocket is jammed against the dust cover. That's where the resistance to roll is coming from. The dust cover has to be trimmed or ground small enough to clear the sprocket hole.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Is there a dust cover on the bearing? If so, looks like the sprocket is jammed against the dust cover. That's where the resistance to roll is coming from. The dust cover has to be trimmed or ground small enough to clear the sprocket hole.
That sprocket is not backwards. you need it that way to keep the chain from rubbing the tire if you.re running 2.25's

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Oh, yeah I know that picture doesn't have the sprocket on backwards, but the one I took prior to this post on my older thread was on backwards.

And yeah the dust cap is most likely the problem. Can anyone give me a short walk through of how to remove the dustcap? Also, what ways are there to mod it to fit properly, can it be bent to fit? (Considering I don't have a grinder or anything of the sort... -_-)