Cant get it started/dont know what im doing

GoldenMotor.com

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
how do i fix the ole vacuum leak haha
Could be where the carburetor slides over the manifold, the manifold itself, base gasket, head gasket. Start there. SEAL....SEAL.....SEAL. Depending where the leak is the material to used might be different. To find a vacuum leak I use WD-40, sometimes Throttle Body Cleaner...but be careful, it's flammable. You don't want to hear a wooooooomp, if you use it have a fire extinguisher handy, and remove the pin. I've never caught one on fire. I use it to start my bike every time I go for a ride.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Find source of air leak, replace the seal or gasket that is leaking air.

However, your problem is probably the following:

1. Do you have an inline fuel filter? If not, install one, remove the fuel filter that is part of the petcock, and remove carb disassemble it and ensure jet isn't clogged, clean out any debris in float bowl.

2. what is needle valve setting on carb? Try 2 or 3rd setting from top.

3. Fuel: Drain your fuel and buy a fresh gallon. Mix 3.5 oz of a quality 2 stroke oil in the gallon. Too much oil in your mix will make it hard to start. Running it at 40:1 won't hurt the engine at all and once you get some time on the rings and get it running you can go down to 32:1. We want to get engine running and 3.5 oz oil per gallon will help you a long way. Make sure your carb float bowl is flushed of the old sticky 16:1 mix you probably used.

4. Air filter: Remove it for first start. Odds are it is probably wet with fuel/oil mixture which restricts airflow and makes starts harder. It won't hurt engine for you to run with no airfilter for a couple of miles to get engine running. Once you get it running, reinstall it but make sure you rinse and dry it.

5. Choke: Use about 1/2 choke setting and if you can while holding handlebar with one hand as you push start, play with the choke while getting it to crank/start. You may notice that full choke setting may get it chugging but you may have to quickly get it to 1/2 or less but more than none to keep it running. Try to start engine on a downhil..

6. Did you gap plug correctly before install? If not, do it.

Hope this helps. I strongly suggest you find someone local who knows about engines and can impart their knowledge to you. Motorized bikes are not for beginners who are unfamiliar with internal combustion engines. Good luck.