WTB: Schwinn Balloon Cantilever Frame

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Your best bet might be ebay for this. I have a 51 cantilever build which was a balloon tire bike and a 53 cantilever I'm building right now which was a middleweight. I don't know exactly when the cantilever frame started, but I don't think it was for long before everything shifted over to middleweights. I have noticed very little difference in the two frames, both are solid and well made. The middleweight will accept 2.125 wheels with no problem. Fenders will be more snug on the fatter tires, but will also fit or if you're going with new fenders the bigger balloon ones will fit that frame OK. I mention this simply because I think there are a lot more of the middleweights out there since the cantilever frames became very popular as the straight bar frames faded way.
SB

Boardie

Mar 22, 2011
Under the Redwoods, Ca.
Thanks Silverbear,

Do you think a Worksman drum brake wheelset would have enough clearance on a middleweight cantilever frame?

I'm going to be using a EZ Qmatic kit ...do you see any problems using this in the middleweight?

Thanks again,
Boardie

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think schwinn introduced the cantilever frame in 1938. they offered both frame styles that year on the Auto Cycle
You may well be right about how far back the cantilever frame goes. Schwinn designed it and it was in use before 1946 when Whizzer tried to cop the frame design and ended up with a law suit from Schwinn which got settled with an agreement that Schwinn would provide the frames and Whizzer the engine. The frame became wildly popular with the introduction of the famed Black Phantom in 49 I think it was.

Anyway, it is a great choice for an in frame engine with a good bit of room so that even a greyhound fits and msrfan's 5 hsp B&S builds fit it nicely. Regarding the Worksman drum brake fitting in the forks, I don't see why not. I do not have experience with the rear wheel drum brake version from Worksman, but I am under the impression it would fit. The front will.
SB