my carb and cup keeps getting stuck

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I was makeing some adjustments to by bike and it would seen I handled my carb a but too roughly and now the cup gets stuck, causing my bike to stick at full toddle especially when I try to tighten down the carb to the manifold all the way.

what do I gotta do to fix this?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Take the filter off look directly into the back of the carb and observe the slide to see what is going on while working the the throttle. Go over your linkage at the same time and retrace it. You will be able to see the relationship of the moving parts by looking directly into the back of the carb.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There are a couple of things you can do... First, don't tighten the top of the carb with a wrench, (only hand tight!) Over tightening it can warp the carb body & cause the slider to stick.
The same kinda goes for the clamp that holds the carb onto the manifold, cranking that as tight as you can could warp the carb body also.
If you have to leave it a hair loose for the slider to not stick, the carb might come off the manifold while riding, in which case you can put a small sheet metal screw through the side of the carb into manifold to hold it in place.

Also, make sure the carb cable doesn't have any sharp turns or 'kinks' in it that can hold the carb open, (& no tight zip-ties holding it to the frame.)

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I know to tighten the cap by hand but attaching the carb to the manifold this is the first I hear ofkeeping it loose, and before I screwed it up I had it on here quite tight

I pulled up on the carb and I guess unbent a little of what I must have bent and now with a lose connection to the manifold it will go pretty smooth I think but I know its not really quite right

Last edited:

yendorrodney88

May 5, 2010
campbelltown nsw australia
I know to tighten the cap by hand but attaching the carb to the manifold this is the first I hear ofkeeping it loose, and before I screwed it up I had it on here quite tight

I pulled up on the carb and I guess unbent a little of what I must have bent and now with a lose connection to the manifold it will go pretty smooth I think but I know its not really quite right
Hi peppers,I have had the same problem not so long ago and because like you i tightened it too much,i did find some small shavings in my carby and cleaned it out and since no problems(touch wood)and mine is only hand tight and has a buckled top but still goes like a beauty,good luck mate,yendorrodney88

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
actually what I did was when I was removing the carb to work on the engine I did not give myself enough clearance to get the carb off the manifold and I got lazy and did not want to undo the engine from the frame so tried to force it and and ended up warping it a bit. I would not over tighten anything I would just stupidly pull at it when I shouldn't.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
actually what I did was when I was removing the carb to work on the engine I did not give myself enough clearance to get the carb off the manifold and I got lazy and did not want to undo the engine from the frame so tried to force it and and ended up warping it a bit. I would not over tighten anything I would just stupidly pull at it when I shouldn't.
Ahhh... At last, we found the real source of the problem! :rolleyes:

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
yeah, I meant to be more clear about that. I was thinking I handled the carb to roughly implied that but it dose not really.