Thinking about converting my bike, is this kit any good?

GoldenMotor.com

Fox

Oct 2, 2008
Hi everyone!

I'd been thinking about motorizing my bike for a while now. I'm a college student, and some extra speed and mobility would be really nice.

Previously, I had considered getting a scooter or even a motorcycle, but both of those complicate things as much as they simplify them - scooters still require a license and have seemingly no advantage over a small motorcycle, and a getting a motorcycle would be a hard idea to sell to my parents (who control my tuition :D ). Neither option would be good to store.

I had been looking at that revopower startup, but they can't seem to get it together and I'm already two years into college.

I saw a deal on a kit here, and for $124+shipping I'm really tempted, but I can't find much out about this kit. I don't even know if my bike's compatible - I have a Trek 700 Multitrack which has served me decently well so far, with the exception of whatever piece holds the handlebars on (it creaks like crazy when I pedal).

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Are there better options for around the same price?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Fox, Welcome to the forum :)

I do not know anything about that place so can't help you much with that.

Here are some links that may be useful to you.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/kit-best-1764.html

In this thread, it will show you what dimensions your bike needs to be for the motor to fit.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-kind-bike-would-you-recommend-510.html

Have any questions feel free to ask...always someone here willing to help out :)

Fox

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks, I'll read up. Seems like there's more to this than I had thought.

Fox

Oct 2, 2008
I'm by no means handy, but I think I could figure it out without too much trouble. If I can't handle it, I know a few friends who probably could.

Looks like it's the same kit that's sold at biketomopedkit.com with the exception of the EPA certification, so I'd assume it came from china. I'm going to search around the forums to see if anyone has reviewed them - any extra input is appreciated too :)

The only thing that looks offhand like it wouldn't work with my bike is the tank - my bike, like a lot of others, has the brake and shifting cables on the top of the frame.

Fox

Oct 2, 2008
Oh, that's creative way to do it. I might just get lazy and solder on some standoffs though :D

Upon some further searching, it appears that this is the same chinese kit offered from kingsmotorbikes.com (this one).

$85 off is looking like a pretty good deal for this kit. I just hope the seller is honest.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Most of this kits are all the same, thier is only a few factorys in China that build them.

Getting one from a well known dealer will cost a little more...but in my opinion it's better. If something goes wrong you are more likley to get help from a good vendor.

apple101

Aug 29, 2008
Don't buy from your linked site! There is something fishy about it. I have never heard of it and the video they include at the bottom isn't even the engine they are selling (it looks like a Dax Titan). I bought mine from Spooky Tooth Cycles and they have great technical support so since you aren't handy, you can call them at any time and talk to Roland. Roland has stayed on the phone with me for an hour and wont let you go until you fix the problem and have no further questions. Good luck!

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
the engine being sold is by RAW- the seller driven off the other forum he has a website somewhere- but that is a cheap price on his kit. I'm wondering if it's really RAW and someone who has harvested pics off the net? Even still it's a good deal. I've never heard fo that web site though. Yout better off going with a known seller. For my birthday my significant other got me a LiveFast motors kits off ebay. He's having a sale on 55cc engine (most likely a 48cc) for $49 plus $73 shipping... For about $125 not a bad deal.... Shipping has been slow though. I see now he has nothing listed but here is a link to his store anyway:
eBay My World - livefastmotors

You could always go with a weedwacker :) I love my weedwacker bike and it was dirt cheap to build- Spent about $50 on parts and it goies well.

BlueCollarBike

Aug 14, 2008
I'm by no means handy, but I think I could figure it out without too much trouble. If I can't handle it, I know a few friends who probably could.

Looks like it's the same kit that's sold at biketomopedkit.com with the exception of the EPA certification, so I'd assume it came from china. I'm going to search around the forums to see if anyone has reviewed them - any extra input is appreciated too :)

The only thing that looks offhand like it wouldn't work with my bike is the tank - my bike, like a lot of others, has the brake and shifting cables on the top of the frame.
Here is a Youtube video to show you how to Mount a tank with cable interference.

YouTube - Installing gas tank With Cable Interference

cheers

BlueCollarBike

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
Here is a good deal if you are still looking. $139.95, Shipping is FREE. Enjoy. (^)

80CC MOTOR BICYCLE ENGINE KIT MOTORIZED BIKE GAS MOPED - eBay item 190255339937

Last edited:

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I'm also a poor college student! I just ordered a motor basically identical to the eBay item listed above. It should be here soon, so I'm very excited!

My question is, since I'll be riding it around other students walking around campus, is it really loud? I don't wanna tick people off as I go by them. Is there any simple mods that can reduce the noise level? I won't need it to have a lot of power, just get me to class.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
The epoxy won't be seen under the tank.

There are a number of new pipes available to muffle the noise. Check eBay. THere area few sellers on there with some different pipes. Therea re a number of thread on here about stingers for little go peds that are perfect for these engines.

Depending on what campus you are, if you are riding these where cars can't go you may get some hassle from campus police. I know that when I was in school (Many many years ago it seems) that I could ride my bike anywhere and the po po didn't care, but I imagine that if it were motorized the po po would care. I guess it all depends on how you ride it, if you are respectful...

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
I'm also a poor college student! I just ordered a motor basically identical to the eBay item listed above. It should be here soon, so I'm very excited!

My question is, since I'll be riding it around other students walking around campus, is it really loud? I don't wanna tick people off as I go by them. Is there any simple mods that can reduce the noise level? I won't need it to have a lot of power, just get me to class.
They are only about as loud as a weedeater. Not much louder. The stock pipe should serve you well. Enjoy...(^)

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008
Just FYI I just received my engine from Handhelditems and it's definitely from China and it's 66cc not 80cc as advertized. Now I just have to mount it and see how it works. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Last edited:

spamh8r

Oct 6, 2008
I look forward to hearing how that goes-- as I ordered mine from the same place and UPS says it will be here tomorrow. I'm not expecting too much, but I used to run 2-stroke motorcycles and can fix most of what might go wrong with them assuming I can find replacement parts.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I finished my install today and got it runnning. My chain keeps popping off, so tomorrow after work I'll get that right and hopefully go for a spin around the block.

I will say this- with the crappy little pipe that cane with my engine, it's about half as loud as my weed whacker bike.

Smells about the same- minus burning rubber...