'81 Huffy a good frame?

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
I went in to the local bike shop today to look for some real wheels and got to talking to one of the employees there about my project. I told him that I had an '81 Huffy Good Vibrations frame. He was quick on the dime to tell me that the frame was going to fall apart on me because the joint welds were crap and that I would have better luck with a new Huffy frame or a Schwinn. At first, I blew it off as a sales pitch, but now I want to make sure that I'm not going to get launched off of my bike at 35+ mph. So, is this a good frame for motorbiking? Or am I SOL? Any input is appreciated :)

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
with out seeing the welds i don't think anyone can answer that, but the guy was right, you want a bike with good welds.

as far as a new huffy or schwinn? well imo that part was the sales pitch lol.

aluminum bikes are often advised against since aluminum doesn't weld as nicely as steel, so if it's aluminum (which i doubt) it's no good for this.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
here's some history;

the Huffman Manufacturing Corporation started making bikes in 1934. they were well built, solid bikes back then. they also made bikes for numerous other companies, like Dayton, and also badged their bikes for various department stores to sell.

in 1953 they changed to Huffy, and during the following years concentrated on building department store bikes, and the quality went down from the '60's on.

in 1999 they closed all their american plants and moved production to china.

since the 70's BMX and ten speed boom, Huffy has always been the butt of jokes. there used to be stickers like "If Huffy made airplanes, would you fly in one?" they produced cheap, disposable bikes, while not exactly junk, they were designed for the casual rider, and even their BMX bikes came with "warning" stickers that they were not designed for "stunt riding, racing, or jumping."

to answer your question, your american made good vibrations bike is of better quality than todays china-made huffy, and the salesman was either BS'ing you, or is a total idiot.

but...

your american- made huffy is now 30 years old and wasn't built with durability in mind, so depending on condition, it could be better, could be worse, or could be the same as a new one.

buying a new huffy is definitely NOT an upgrade. it's just buying another cheap bike. this forum's filled with broken huffys (to be fair, there's many successful huffy builds, also.)

for your first bike, the good vibrations cruiser is a good choice. learn all the mistakes on it, and build a better one next time...

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Thanks for the info Bairdco. The bike is in amazing condition, not a flake of rust and the original paint looks brand new. The previous owner took really good care of the bike. However, I don't know what kind of stress has been put on it. I'll definitely be taking every precaution to ensure that the build is as safe as possible.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
no problem, Frickard, keep us posted as you go along.

and thanks Tom, i'm trying to be a bit more civil when i'm bashing on huffys...;)
You're so right Bairdco.....the new Huffy's certainly lack on craftsmanship but for a first time builder to learn the tricks of the trade it's probably the way to go .....why pour a ton of cash for a first time build that may get messed up ?...( shrug ) ...

Salty.shft.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
You're so right Bairdco.....the new Huffy's certainly lack on craftsmanship but for a first time builder to learn the tricks of the trade it's probably the way to go .....why pour a ton of cash for a first time build that may get messed up ?...( shrug ) ...

Salty.shft.
i'd take my dinged up worksman (which was brand new when i got it) over a brand new pristine condition huffy any day.

in all honesty i want to get it just right, even if it's taking me forever to do it. that and it's a matter of safety. why risk my safety? or do the same job twice.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know the new Huffy's are cheap and there have been problems with them for some, but like Bairdco said some have had good luck with them and I am one of those who has so far, but I did take everything on mine apart and adjust and regrease every single part that moves on this bike, I trued the wheels up, added front brake and put smaller crank sprocket in place of the original one so it is easier to pedal taking off.

But I only have 300+ a few miles on it so far so it could fall apart the next time out, but so far it is holding up just fine, mine is a Huffy Karoake Beach Cruiser that I got off Amazon.com

I say build what you have, take your time and do it right and enjoy the ride, do the best you can with what you have and work your way up from there is my advise.

Peace

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I know the new Huffy's are cheap and there have been problems with them for some, but like Bairdco said some have had good luck with them and I am one of those who has so far, but I did take everything on mine apart and adjust and regrease every single part that moves on this bike, I trued the wheels up, added front brake and put smaller crank sprocket in place of the original one so it is easier to pedal taking off.

But I only have 300+ a few miles on it so far so it could fall apart the next time out, but so far it is holding up just fine, mine is a Huffy Karoake Beach Cruiser that I got off Amazon.com

I say build what you have, take your time and do it right and enjoy the ride, do the best you can with what you have and work your way up from there is my advise.

Peace
You pretty well summed it up ....." enjoy the ride ".........one must begin some where .....it's pretty much " sh*ts and giggles "

Salty.shft.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I don't know of a better bicycle to put a motor on than an old Huffy.

The heavy tubing that some complain about helps with the vibrations from the motor.

And the welds on the older ones I have look much better and thicker than the welds on the newer ones.

Many of the older Huffys will hold a 2 cycle like they were made for it.

No drilling the frame or putting on an adapter. Less stud breakage.