Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The 2013 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 320
MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES
View Entire Chapter
320.08 License taxes.—Except as otherwise provided herein, there are hereby levied and imposed annual license taxes for the operation of motor vehicles, mopeds, motorized bicycles as defined in s. 316.003(2), tri-vehicles as defined in s. 316.003, and mobile homes, as defined in s. 320.01, which shall be paid to and collected by the department or its agent upon the registration or renewal of registration of the following:
(1) MOTORCYCLES AND MOPEDS.—
(a) Any motorcycle: $13.50 flat, of which $3.50 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(b) Any moped: $6.75 flat, of which $1.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(c) Upon registration of any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped there shall be paid in addition to the license taxes specified in this subsection a nonrefundable motorcycle safety education fee in the amount of $2.50. The proceeds of such additional fee shall be deposited in the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund to fund a motorcycle driver improvement program implemented pursuant to s. 322.025, the Florida Motorcycle Safety Education Program established in s. 322.0255, or the general operations of the department.

((=Nashville Kat;561686]LR Jerry doesn't know what he's talking abouit. Florida is a pretty motorized bike friendly state- I've been riding here for 5 years without any hassle.

I'm not sure whether the law has ever changed but Florida allows for 50cc of unregistered motorized bicycle. When the 66 came out I don't think there's been much enforcement over them- even though technically they may not be legal-
I'm usually riding a 50 anyway- the bicycle has caught up to the motor if you're willing to use more modern stuff on it, and it's great local transportation.

I've been a little surprised they've never caught on more, but these days not many people are mechanically inclined, Still I see motorized bikes here in Jacksonville all the time.[/QUOTE]))

Well maybe you're in an area where you don't get harassed by the police. However this forum and other forums are full of stories of other riders being harassed by police in Florida. That still doesn't negate the fact if your bike isn't legal situations can occur beyond your control that will cause a legal problem for you. This is a clear case of double fault. This was swept under the rug to keep the cop from getting in to trouble. Had the cop hit anybody who was riding completely legal they couldn't have done that.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I wouldn't be pis*** even if he issued a ticket to me, but I'll be pissed since my life was in danger. I think I have the right not to be ran over by anyone. IF they try to cover it up, it's the more you need to make it known.

Having said that, it's time to grab a few drink to celebrate that you're still alive... :) at least I'm drinking right now..

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I wouldn't be pis*** even if he issued a ticket to me, but I'll be pissed since my life was in danger. I think I have the right not to be ran over by anyone. IF they try to cover it up, it's the more you need to make it known.

Having said that, it's time to grab a few drink to celebrate that you're still alive... :) at least I'm drinking right now..
Think about what you're saying. First of all a ticket for operating an improper vehicle on the public roadways isn't cheap. If the OP pursued it and got that cop in trouble, the other cops would have been pulling him over every time they saw him on his bike being rode on the streets after that. It wouldn't have stopped there either. They probably would have started going after other riders as well. To conclude the only sure way to avoid a legal issue is to be riding legal.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
LRJerry still doesn't know what he's talking about- his post above is direcred at mopeds and motorcycles. Motor driven bicycles of 50cc are allowed, without registration, unless the law the law has changed in the last year or so.

He's just one of those people who wants to discourage others- us- stickling on technicalities and events that aren't there.

It's bad enough that-yes- technicalities are left hanging over us- and I think purposelly- while otherwise our bikes are tolerated- we have to operate on pins and needles, while it more opens the doors to nonsense against us or ties our hands when situations arise-

I'm not going on a search of this, and waste my time over yet again anotherinter know-it-all, but Florida allows motorized biikes of 50 cc without registration, and seems to tolerate the 66

unless a bully constantly forces a gay marriage issue to stir things up- and then there's always pathetic sadists in America these days who want to take our rights to life, liberty and happiness, if and when they can.

and never achy-breaky enough for them, huh?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Nashville Kat I'll be the first to admit to being wrong. Simply show us the Florida statute you're talking about. I've showed riders here in Tennessee our law requires a drivers license. So many of them was under the belief as long as their bike was under 50 cc they didn't need one. You may ride and never have a problem with the police. I hope that continues to be the case for you and others. However in the event of accidents where injury or damage has occurred the technicalities you're talking about is how cops determine fault.

In the case of the OP I've advised him to leave it alone because he wasn't legal either. But according to you Kat he was. So then for his sake show him the Florida statute you're talking about so he can lodge a complaint if he so chooses.

Last edited: