Magneto and CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
Ok here is the deal I put my f80 from dax together when I tried to start it I had no luck. So thinking that maybe something weird happened I swaped my CDI out with my sons and he put mine on his my bike still would not fire but his ran fine. when that happened I pulled the cover off the Magneto and found that when the balanced f80 bottom end was put together that somehow a washer got in the Magneto and messed up the magnet. so I took the stador and magnet out of my old f50 motor and put it in my new f80 and still nothing. I dont know if the magnet can be put in backwords or something. in the morning Im going to check for spark Im also going to get a new plug and plug wire ( just to be on the safe side ).

I guess my question is what could I have done wrong when put the magneto out of my f50 into my f80 I did use a card to make sure that there was a gap between the magnet and stator. Is there anything else I should have done or anything I could have done wrong?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
thanks reading it now I think I might see the problem my magnet may very well be in backwords. Ill find out some time tomorrow.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When the piston is TDC the keyway is at 1 o'clock, or there abouts, and it looks like this.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that pic is right as to location of keyway, but diff than the usual wiring

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
it looks soldered in the pic I fugured it was the ground because where it was hooked up. Im about to go check mine and I hope that is the problem I real dont want to tear my motor back down and ship the bottom end back to dax lol.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
good news I did put the magnet on backwords bad news I lost the key somehow lol but my son is checking at a MC shop right now to see if they have a key that will fit. so fingers crossed that this afternoon after I get paid I can get a key along with a couple other things.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Your not gona believe this in the hardware aisle at Home Depot in the drawers you will find Woodruff keys you may have to file it down to fit but they have them there $1 a piece at Home Depot or check your local hardware store they do have them .

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
I got an assorted set at PArt Source, but they were SAE so I did have to sand em down and turned out a tiny bit too small, I ended up just ordering the proper sized ones from the motor vendor but in a pinch it'll work just fine. That picture is tricky to find when I was trying to figure out how it went on. Honestly I'm not sure why it matters, the magnetic field would be the same, it only retards the timing a bit if you put it on backwards but sure enough my motor wouldn't fire if it was on backward. some of the keyways are set farther out than others, I have one that sits nearly at the 12:00 position, and the one I'm using now sits at the 1:00 position. I have no idea which one would run better but for sure it's weird.