Whats a good 4 stroke engine?

GoldenMotor.com

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I bought the 79cc Predator because of all the hipe I was hearing on the 99 and 212 heavy vibrating at high RPMs. I just put it on the road yesterday and man, does that bike fly. Starts on the 1st or second pull provided you remembered to turn the gas on and choke it...LOL. I'm going to check the speed on it today with a GPS. I am really happy with my Predator engine set up. My last one was a HT china girl and it just took too long to start.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Look in the Sunday paper for Harbor Freight coupons, they almost always have a 20% off coupon good for any one item, so you'll get the 79cc Predator for $80 instead of 100. The two closest stores are Harrisburg and Lancaster, or you can order it online for $7 shipping.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I saw the 420cc model at my local store and it made me giggle looking at the size of the thing and trying to imagine some kind of bike built around it.

The only to thing watch out for is the all the out put shaft and jack bolts are 5/16-24 thread and the mounting bolts are M8... Kinda threw me off thought it was all metric and so did the owners of some of the second hand predators I bought, some of the threads on the engine were messed up

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I think a lot of the vibrations people have are probably clutch related....maybe not. I know my stock 212 is smooth,and has lots of umph

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Far from stock mind you, my HF 212cc predator engine has over 46 hours on it and wins races consistently. Won the "Unlimited Class" race at Grange yesterday as well as the race in April earlier this year and is still running strong and reliable. Still a one pull start operation.......same with my 99cc Predator. For the price these engines can't be beat......literally!

Huashengs and Hondas are very much the same......Hondas costing more of course.

dnut

Winning Predator 212cc engine:

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
scotto I like the way your powering your rear sprocket. Iam thinking about doing the same only driving my 7 speed cassette using a SBP FW. Do you have any advice as to the sprockets I should be using? Thanks

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
kudos for scotto that bike flat gets it on..powers all the way down the straightaway, scary fast. and that 12hp stock 99cc aint no slug either. good to see you bro!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Iam trying find the right gear ratio to give me good bottom end and maybe be able to go 40 45 tops. Thanks scotto.
If you're running the Lifan 98cc 4-stroke I would go about 12.44:1 gear ratio or thereabouts. With a shift kit you should be able to do whatever speeds you want, be it uphills, downhills or on the flats.

Say you're running a 13-32t 7-speed rear cluster (cassette), you might try to gear something like this: 8t-28t 8t-30 then another 30t would drive the cassette.

The high and low gearing would look like this:

low is on the left and high is on the right

I know this sounds confusing, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks Scotto. I probably don't quite have it. I cant seem to find a clutch with an 8 tooth sprocket. This is the clutch Iam thinking of buying: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Go-kart...ultDomain_0&hash=item4d00c16526#ht_666wt_1123
Do I need 2 jackshafts to do this?
You only need one jackshaft set-up like the SBP kit. You can get a Max-Torque clutch with a 10t and try this: 10t-30t 8t-36t then 30t to the 7-speed cassette.

The 36t and the 30t that drives the cassette are both on the BB spindle (one freewheels) like SBP shift kit.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ok I get that. Now I just need to find the sprockets. Thanks scotto.
No prob man....that's why I'm here :) A lot of the sprockets you need can be found at SBP and at reasonable prices. I get bits and pieces from them because of availability, price and good customer service.

Also check yard sales, swap meets, CL and flea bay as well as any local bike shops.

bill2781

May 24, 2013
okmulgee OKlahoma
I think a lot of the vibrations people have are probably clutch related....maybe not. I know my stock 212 is smooth,and has lots of umph
I just got a 212 Predator I was wondering will it fit in my old wallmart v frame mountain bike. made by murray . ? please let me know if you guys know if it will fit or not?.

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
So I found two engines I am thinking of buying but I don't know what the difference is between them they are:

This one just says EPA after it:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...hv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html

This one says EPA and carb:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...rizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-carb-69727.html

What's the difference?

I want to buy an engine sometime this week. What else do I need for the engine? I mean I want to make sure that the engine will be the right kind of engine for making a motorized bike before buying it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You dont want to install a 212cc without a very strong frame, wheels, adapter, and the proper drivetrain components, not to mention brakes. Pretty much every part of the bike needs to be very strong to handle a 212cc. Its a lot of power, and way faster than bicycles are even allowed to go. If you don't get it registered as a motorcycle (even more expensive) you'll get pulled over and probably have your bike impounded. Just cause its on sale dont make it a good idea. Buy a 79cc predator and you'll have all the power you need and still be safe. You'll still need some better brakes and some other custom parts, but it wont be as expensive or difficult as building a 212cc.