Pocket Turbocharger + Huasheng = Boom?

GoldenMotor.com

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
After watching the ultimate build-off where two teams competed to build the fastest mini-van, I saw that installing a turbocharger isn't that difficult. In fact, the higher-end models of my car, the 300zx use twin turbochargers. Since our HS 4 stroke engines are pretty much just smaller versions of the engines on these vehicles, wouldn't it be possible to attach a turbocharger? Our Huasheng engines supposedly have a very low compression ratio (7.4:1) and I know that on larger engines, anything below 9:1 will work well with a turbocharger. I also found a website which talks about adding a turbocharger to a slightly larger go-kart engine. TURBOKART

So what do you guys think? Would a turbo eliminate the need for sophisticated gearing setups? Could you just use a small rear sprocket and a small turbo to get power on hills and during starts? Finally, would a turbocharger literally destroy these small engines with the increased pressure? If it becomes popular, I could envision a turbo kit for these small HS engines.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
with enough money anything is possible. the question you should ask your self is, is it worth the time and money?

I love turbos, i have since I was a kid. I love jap cars, because they love turbos too! but... turbos are not for everyone, or everything rather... that kart is 200+cc, i dont know of a turbo even close to small enough to be spooled by a 50cc motor... if you do find one, it will work great as long as you have the fueling... carbs are pain in the ass on their own, but to tune a suck thru or blow thru carb, good f'in luck....so you might as well fuel inject it... and if your gonna do all that, might as well get a different motor if you want to go fast! haha

discontinuuity

May 24, 2010
Colorado, USA
I don't think the Huasheng motors have a pressurized oiling system, so you might need an external electric oil pump.

Apparently you can also get an EFI system for small engines too:
Turbocharger and EFI Fuel Injection kits

Here's a couple small turbos. I think they're the same model, or reproductions of the same thing:
Mitsubishi TD025M-05T 49173-03430 Turbocharger Kubota: eBay Motors (item 270592117485 end time Jul-10-10 19:16:18 PDT)

MBE Motorsports inc. : Small Engine Turbocharger VZ21 [VZ21Turbo] - $298.84USD

And you could always go with a supercharger like this guy's 50cc Honda moped!
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/01/13/supercharged-honda-50-racing/

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
to just fiddle and play you may be able to do something with a electric ducted fan from the RC world......some of the higher kv brushless really pump up the jam....any positive pressure should make a difference......like ram air etc

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Why not just use ram(med) air? Like a flange around the filter? Or route the filter facing forward/sideways?

I assume this is possible?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ram air really has no effect until you are traveling around 60MPH or faster.
If you can get your 50cc motorized bicycle to go that fast (reliably) before you gain that advantage, I bow down to your expertise. You are damm good!
If you want it to go faster than 60MPH on public streets with traffic, ect. after the advantage of ram air is benefiting you, you are crazy!
That is for Bonneville.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Oh,ok then. I personaly was looking for more low end. I guess its smarter to just gear it lower or get a bigger motor.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
these engines are not worth it.. they wont make more power no mater what people say.. they only make 1.8 hp at full throttle just ad a bigbore carb with bigger jet good plug ngk

and maybe port and polish here and there thats all you can do.. you want more power you buy a 6 hp motor old school stright up and down one not the ones from hf and you do that route

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
if your going to try and turbo a motor, it is a total nightmare. but if your set on it, get an IHI turbo, they make the smallest turbos in the world, and are used on many GY6 motors. second, get a larger motor, the largest you can fit in your frame, your going to need the displacement. best bet is to build a full on custom frame. Now, here comes the fun part, easiest way to tune a carbed turbo is with a draw-thru system, that means the carb is mounted infront of the turbo, you will need to rebuild the turbos center housing with carbon seals. the stock seals will seep oil into the intake when its under vacuum (throttle closed at idle). Another reason to use a large motor, you will need an oil pump, turbos do need PRESSURIZED oil to live. your best bet is to modify a small block chevy oil pump and make it chain driven off of the out put shaft of your motor. you will also have to make an oil tank, and do not make it too small, the oil coming from your turbo will be hot, and the more oil you have in the tank the cooler the oil will be returning to the turbo. with a draw-thru turbo set up, the intake will have to be as short as possible or the atomized fuel will drop out and condense on the intake walls, that means no intercooler. a 8 horse or larger briggs flat head would be ideal for this set up because the intake and exhaust exit the motor on the same side of the engine. carb tuning will be a nightmare, but it is doable.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
You know they won't make more power cuz you've tried it? Or is that your educated guess?
i know they wont make more power im a ase certified mechanic and i have one of these the power margin is not even noticable you want power its bore and stroke lenth these motors are not designed to even haul us around only to power generators and small machines..

ive added every mod possible to mine and there is really no diffrence maybe .3 hp not worth it for the money and you wont even feel it

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's what I've been looking for,real world experience. That sucks that there's no noticeable difference. Now I'm reluctant to change anything. I put a SBP air filter on mine before I ever started it and I can deal with what it has for power.

For now.

I'm going to motorize an old school kick scooter with a 4G tranny/jackshaft combo. With the weight saved maybe it will pull a little better? I already have the gearing figured for a 25mph top speed(a la AGK's calculator) but will be adding a 3 speed IGH in the future.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
That's what I've been looking for,real world experience. That sucks that there's no noticeable difference. Now I'm reluctant to change anything. I put a SBP air filter on mine before I ever started it and I can deal with what it has for power.

For now.

I'm going to motorize an old school kick scooter with a 4G tranny/jackshaft combo. With the weight saved maybe it will pull a little better? I already have the gearing figured for a 25mph top speed(a la AGK's calculator) but will be adding a 3 speed IGH in the future.
the only thing you can do is add a better plug for reliability not power an ngk
and terry blow at blowbyu.net has a big bore carb.. get that and a bigger jet to go along with it.. i say the carb because the stock ones are terrible the big bore one is more reliable...

best thing if you want power is to add a 6hp or 5 hp motor the old school ones they are more reliable than the new motors out now... that way you will have tons of torq and tons of power.. these little 1.8 hp at 6000 rpm motors the husaungs arent meant for what we are doing.... at best they pull me at 20 mph and thats really fast engough for a sunday ride around town..

when you add all this stuff its just a waste of money

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
When it was on my bike it pulled all the way to 30mph. On a flat road. Going uphill, maybe 20 or so. Going down I wouldn't push it past 31-32. This motor has to last a bit. That was a 19.1:1 ratio on 24" wheels on a scwhinn delmar.