total newbie itching to build a bike

GoldenMotor.com

50ccwannabe

Jun 26, 2008
Hi y'all,

I will easily be able to find a cruiser that will work out fine for my first bike. I am mostly concerned about buying some lemon engine/kit online. Any advice on a good outfit to buy from, brand of motor, etc.

I am in Ann Arbor, MI (in case there are any local suppliers known of)

50 cc should be fine for starters.

2 stroke is fine with me

quiet would be good, if no other trade offs

thanks so much for your help!!!! :ride2:

Jeff

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
thatsdax.com is not the cheapest nor the most expensive....but is great with their service if you need it.

Welcome to the forum!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Like Joe said, thatsdax will take care of you after the sale. I love my cruiser style motorized bicycle. Those mountain bike styles kill my back. Of course I'm old and fat, that probably doesn't help. :D Glad you joined us................................

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
I have bought two kits, each from a different dealer. Tonight I was comparing the two, as far as fit and finish, dax was better. The only thing dax kit sucks on is their throttle. I'm hoping that my second kit runs as good as the dax. The things that dax was better with were the muffler (major in finish and welding quality), tensioner (ball bearing), and sprocket (concave) Do be aware that all things are not created equal.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I bought three kits from dax...one took less than a week, the other two were closer to tqwo weeks.

Now having said that, I will add this- He ships on certain days, or in a shipping cycle for the kits. If you buy the day before he ships you are in better shape than if you order the day after he ships.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My only issue with ordering from Dax is he advertises that he has a 20 business day lead time...so you pay for it and it doesn't ship for 4 weeks :(