Time To Get A Helmet!!!

GoldenMotor.com

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
just switched from 20:1 to 32:1....

nearly crapped myself. my need for speed has been sated. no speedometer yet, but clearly i am now keeping pace with autos going between 35 to 40+ mph.

my fellow motorized bicyclers, it is now time to purchase a helmet!
xct2

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hmmm.

A huge difference by switching mix ratio?

I'm new to this whole 2 stroke thing and tuning them. Not to steal the thread but if there is oil burning and accumulating in my exhaust does that indicate I am using too much oil in my gas mix?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i switched ratios today too(since i ran out of gas) and gained a lot more speed.
it really flys down the road,i try not to hit any potholes or bumps,and the front brakes i have are wearing down fast i can guess.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
I'm a complete noob Bob, so i couldn't tell ya. i believe the heavier oil mixture has to due with lubricating the engine properly for break in. I've wiped the foul looking crud from my muffler a few times. Don't know what to expect now that i'm using the new mix following the break in period. just following directions i got from the vendor: thatsdax- took it nice and slow breaking in the engine. i could hear and feel it really smoothing out and figured it was time for the new mix. had a little bit of the old mix still in the fuel line when i put the new mix in. had the bike nice and warmed up after 5 to 10 minutes then all the sudden i was going faster, much faster.

Had to know for sure so i had my brother follow me in his car. Cold she ran 30 on even level road, 23 up hill, when she warmed up, 34 on level and 40 on slight decline.

Thats fast when you're riding a bike and not wearing a helmet. And yes, i figure i'll need to replace the brake pads in a week or so.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I did that too today...switched to a lighter mix. I'm a light weight so I can naturally get 40 mph out of it easily.

I wear one of those cheapo bike helmets, but I almost wiped it today and that helmet wouldn't have done much to save me, I think. I was flying up the street and swerved out to the middle of the road to pass a parked car and felt the bikes back tire slide as if on ice. I slowed down real quick and took it easy til I got home.......turned out my tire was flat!

I filled 'er up and was back flying up and down the roads.......what a blast! Can't wait to put on my 34T sprocket!

.wee.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
let me know how that 34t works... thought about getting one, but for now i've got plenty of power.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's the deal....going to a leaner mixture (gas to oil) will make the engine have a RICHER fuel to air mixture. It also burns better due to the lower oil content.

The chinese instructions state 16:1 because that's what you used in the olden days when people mixed regular motor oil with the gas.

Modern two stroke oils can safely be mixed at 32:1 in our engines.

Run @ 24:1 if you have any worries, but 16:1 is a waste of plugs, oil, and time.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
going to get a good skateboard helmet until i can find a decent full face.... It is said that helmets can prevent serious brain injuries.... i drive defensively, havn't been in any kind of accident in over 15 years (i'm 33). what i'm worried about and why i always wore a helmet when riding a moped, scooter or motorcycle, is the slow scrape at 5 to 10 mph. Mom works in the er and has seen plenty more road rash than brain injuries. I don't want to end up looking like darkman....

Last edited:

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
so here's what i got. not a motorcycle helmet, but at least in my own my mind, the speed no longer scares me. No more worrying about the slow scrape.... It's an x-games bicycle helmet- got it at walmart-

marioaz

Dec 15, 2008
Prescott, Arizona
I'm also looking at a helmet. I drive defensively but today someone talking on a cell phone made a left in front on me. Not the first time. I locked them up. Never saw me. I was doing 20mph in a bike lane.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I always wear a helmet, even if I'm riding my pedal bike. I had a crash with a car on my pedal bike, and if I didn't have a helmet on I'd probably have gone to the ER.

Shika_Usstan

Apr 25, 2009
Wyoming
My wife keeps telling me I need to get one. . . I have the bare nessecities on my bike and so I don't go much faster than 30 mph on a good day. (Usually only 23 mph up hill) But she is worried about a TBI (Trematic brain injury) so I was gonna get me a light motorcycle helmet and then get some bondo and chicken wire to make my bicycle look like a sporty motorcycle. . . I think it will be pretty funny looking. . .