What Do You Do To Keep Your Seat From Moving

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
One of the most annoying things I've encountered over the years is twisting and turning seats. Years ago I started welding the seat clamps together where I wanted the seat to stay. Lately I've just been making heavy duty clamps with an extra hole to stabilize my seats.

This one is made from a piece of thick wall 1 1/4'' box tubing. A hole for the seat post, one for the pinch bolt and an extra one to keep it from swiveling.

Very stable. Most bike frame seat tubes are about 20 degrees off of level perpendicular.

Please tell us how you address this problem. as I'm always looking for better ideas.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I find using one of these solves all those issues.

But your way opens up some seat choices and is cheaper.
This style post requires a twin rail seatpan

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I double-nutted one side of my worksman seat post clamp bolt, so I could tighten the other side as tight as possible. It's worked so far.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
When I have a frustrating problem like seats moving or handlebars, it almost always comes down to a cheap part or a part not being correct for the application. A good quality part correctly matched to the application will almost always do it's job correctly. But lets face face it, there is a lot of junk out there, and cheap parts on a bike can be downright dangerous. Buy quality matched components and the problem goes away. If ANYTHING requires a shim then the parts don't match.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
exactly, pat. i use brooks saddles on most of my bikes and they never move.

i also have a box of old seat parts, so if i use a cheap cruiser seat on something, i find an older clamp. the newer one's don't hold.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Yeah, I bought some of those cool repop vintage style handlebars with the cross brace. 7/8" tube bars with no center knurl or swedge area up to 1". Guy supplies this cheap aluminum shim with the bars. Those bars will not hold for anything. He said it was because I put them on a motorbike. Well, it was a pedal bike at the time. I tried steel motorcycle handlebar shims, too. They STILL moved. Seller said it was my stem so I tried a couple different stems. Still moved. I bought a properly manufactured set of good old Wald cruiser bars for $18 with center knurl and 1" swedge. Those bars didn't budge! Proper design, proper matching components, problem solved! Buyer beware.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Still, the heavier the rider, the more even properly matched components tend to want to shift. I use shims when I want something to pivot. Knurls really help.
Yeah, bars need to fit real well, especially when pedal starting.