SpookyTooth/BikeBerry Impossible Alignment. Different bracket Recommendations?

GoldenMotor.com

Jeff d

Apr 2, 2013
Louisiana
So, I'm putting together a Spooky Tooth 4 stroke kit on a Margi cruiser for my uncle. Other forum members have mentioned that this is the same as the Bike Berry kit and it certainly does appear to be based on the pictures. Actually it looks exactly like a Bike Berry kit while several of the pics on SpookyTooth's site look like Grubee stuff.

This is the bracket that it came with:

If I mount it with the holes towards the front I have chain length issues (Due to the motor being so far forward) and the alignment is off by about 1/4-3/8" (The engine needs to go 1/4-3/8" to the right but the slots are maxed out). The transmission being so far forward causes it to interfere more with the left crank so I have to have the bracket fully extended to put it up as high as possible.

If I mount it with the holes towards the rear it solves my chain length and crank interference issues but I physically can't put the motor on that way due to interference between the airbox/carb and the bike frame. I can't drill new holes because there's no metal to drill the front holes into due to the extending part of the bracket being cut out to clear the bolts when used in the normal holes.

Right now I have it mounted with the holes towards the front and I had to get a #41 chain so it would be tolerant of the misalignment. The 415h wouldn't work at all with the misalignment. The problem I'm having is that the bracket isn't sturdy and despite the bolts being very tight it eventually sags in the middle, allowing slack in the chain and then interference with the left crank again.

I've come to the conclusion that the engine bracket is just junk and not useable. I've talked to my uncle and he's willing to pay the $50 for a "Heavy duty industrial use 4-stroke mount plate" from here:
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ez_motorbike_4_stroke_motor_kits_with_usa_made_gear_box4_stroke_crank_parts

I believe that's a grubee mount or similar design. Should this give proper alignment even with the different transmission that I have on this engine from Spooky Tooth? I'll contact them too and see if they think it will work. Does anyone have any recommendations for another bracket?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
When you call them ask them why they don't tell you
spookytooth/bikeberry are the same company. I'll bet
your stuff came badly packed or just thrown into a priority box?
Sorry you got caught up in their black hole!

So, I'm putting together a Spooky Tooth 4 stroke kit on a Margi cruiser for my uncle. Other forum members have mentioned that this is the same as the Bike Berry kit and it certainly does appear to be based on the pictures. Actually it looks exactly like a Bike Berry kit while several of the pics on SpookyTooth's site look like Grubee stuff.

If I mount it with the holes towards the front I have chain length issues (Due to the motor being so far forward) and the alignment is off by about 1/4-3/8" (The engine needs to go 1/4-3/8" to the right but the slots are maxed out). The transmission being so far forward causes it to interfere more with the left crank so I have to have the bracket fully extended to put it up as high as possible.

If I mount it with the holes towards the rear it solves my chain length and crank interference issues but I physically can't put the motor on that way due to interference between the airbox/carb and the bike frame. I can't drill new holes because there's no metal to drill the front holes into due to the extending part of the bracket being cut out to clear the bolts when used in the normal holes.

Right now I have it mounted with the holes towards the front and I had to get a #41 chain so it would be tolerant of the misalignment. The 415h wouldn't work at all with the misalignment. The problem I'm having is that the bracket isn't sturdy and despite the bolts being very tight it eventually sags in the middle, allowing slack in the chain and then interference with the left crank again.

I've come to the conclusion that the engine bracket is just junk and not useable. I've talked to my uncle and he's willing to pay the $50 for a "Heavy duty industrial use 4-stroke mount plate" from here:
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/ez_motorbike_4_stroke_motor_kits_with_usa_made_gear_box4_stroke_crank_parts

I believe that's a grubee mount or similar design. Should this give proper alignment even with the different transmission that I have on this engine from Spooky Tooth? I'll contact them too and see if they think it will work. Does anyone have any recommendations for another bracket?

Jeff d

Apr 2, 2013
Louisiana
Yes, that's exactly how it came. My uncle actually bought it based on a recommendation from a freind but I'm betting the freind got his stuff before the bikeberry buyout and it was better. This was a box 'o parts that I have a hard time believing has any design work behind it. Most of it is useable accept for the engine mount.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Yes, that's exactly how it came. My uncle actually bought it based on a recommendation from a freind but I'm betting the freind got his stuff before the bikeberry buyout and it was better. This was a box 'o parts that I have a hard time believing has any design work behind it. Most of it is useable accept for the engine mount.
If that's the way it was sent then you got bikeberry's bad parts
the kit should come to you looking like this pic. in original box.
had bikeberry do the same thing to me, but I'm not gonna say anymore here if you want PM me
document everything and file a dispute.

Attachments

jim71

Jun 13, 2013
pa

I feel your pain!! I just went through this ! and I can tell you that the mounting plate makes the whole difference in the world!
thanks to tinsmith dan ! I got it put together! still had to have the plate machined but I was expecting little tweaks !
im gona post some of my pics in a new thread on how I made out ...
i think the mount you needed is the one i sent back , damn!
maybe you can take some pics of the motor on the bike with the mount you have and we can see if you need the smaller mount?