no spark after 5min of rideing

GoldenMotor.com

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
hi so this week put my motor on a new frame i put a new pipe and a 36t sproket and new head gasket so this moring on my way to school i got about 5min from my house and the bike stared to warm up lol it still -6 outside her so one it warmed up it just died pulled the plug and am geting no spark my gess is the mag winding are broken pr not conected? any help on how to determin the problem

.xx.zpt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
before you start blaming the mag and blow money on parts, work your way through it.

meaning, make sure the plug isn't oil fouled and it's gapped correctly.

check your plug wire for cracks, make sure it's on the plug tightly (stock wires and the boot are notorious for failures,) and make sure it's screwed into the CDI all the way. might be glued in, so it's probably ok.

move on to the wiring. check all your connections. they should be tight, with no exposed wires to ground out anywhere. soldering and heat shrinking is the way to go.

as dave mentioned, check the kill switch, another part that fails for no apparent reason. disconnect it and see if it starts.

then check the wiring at the mag and that the ground lead's tight. if there's a lot of yellow epoxy on the mag where the black ground lead is, unscrew the lead, scrape it down to bare metal and re-attach the lead.

if you checked all of this and still no spark, then it's time to get new parts. hopefully your seller will warranty the mag.

while you're at it, upgrade the plug and wire.

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
kill switch was connected but I disconnected it and left it off still nothing checked all connections nothing. so I went to school came home and she fired right up ran for the same distance then got warm came back and used meter and every thing was fine but no stato volts left it over night the next mornin it was fine opened up the Fiberglas on the stator and about 500 wraps in there was 2 breaks so I'm going to finsh unwinding it and count so if I rewarp it in the further I know hm to do bit for now ill be buying a new one

rich4240

Jun 6, 2012
lefroy
have replaced the plug and wire the seller won't replace it many I sulouldent of bought the kit from some random guy on the side of the road who had about 100 of them lol. but iv put over 5000 km on the bike so I can't complained
before you start blaming the mag and blow money on parts, work your way through it.

meaning, make sure the plug isn't oil fouled and it's gapped correctly.

check your plug wire for cracks, make sure it's on the plug tightly (stock wires and the boot are notorious for failures,) and make sure it's screwed into the CDI all the way. might be glued in, so it's probably ok.

move on to the wiring. check all your connections. they should be tight, with no exposed wires to ground out anywhere. soldering and heat shrinking is the way to go.

as dave mentioned, check the kill switch, another part that fails for no apparent reason. disconnect it and see if it starts.

then check the wiring at the mag and that the ground lead's tight. if there's a lot of yellow epoxy on the mag where the black ground lead is, unscrew the lead, scrape it down to bare metal and re-attach the lead.

if you checked all of this and still no spark, then it's time to get new parts. hopefully your seller will warranty the mag.

while you're at it, upgrade the plug and wire.