Does anybody know what the thread is on the wiring outlet by magneto?

GoldenMotor.com

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Hi guys, im wondering if someone has measured and knows what the threadbis on that crappy little nylon plug by the magneto is (you know, where the wires come out of the engine case). Im at work roght now, otherwise i would measure it myself.

Really appreciate any knowledge on this i can get! The nylon plug on mine is in rough shape, and if im not mistaken i believe it is 3/8 pipe thread, though in my mind i would think they would use metric thread.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It is not an SAE pipe thread. It is a metric machine (no taper) thread but not sure of the size. I'll measure one later and post it for you.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mine measures 14mm X 1.25 thread pitch.
I measured 3 different engines.

Something like it might be hard to find. You could replace it with a rubber grommet. Ace hardware has something that would work nicely.
It wouldn't thread in but a tight fit would keep it in place. It also needs to be sealed with a silicone sealant to prevent moisture from getting in around the wires.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Mine measures 14mm X 1.25 thread pitch.
I measured 3 different engines.

Something like it might be hard to find. You could replace it with a rubber grommet. Ace hardware has something that would work nicely.
It wouldn't thread in but a tight fit would keep it in place. It also needs to be sealed with a silicone sealant to prevent moisture from getting in around the wires.
Tom
Agree...rubber grommet works great. Radio Shack should have big ones to fit. Silicone is good idea for extra protection but I've never used it. Grommet fits good and tight and Silicone never really sticks to anything once it's dried...but I don't ride in the rain either.

Last edited: