Do peddlers hate me?

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't get how you don' t think that that 2stroke or 4 stroke engine between your legs or slightly in front or behind you does not count as a motorized vehicle.
If we are running on engine power , yes we are a motorized vehicle, peddling and sweating your balls off , then no.
If you have to run engine power why not take the roads ?
I just think it wont take much of some guy bombing along on a bike or pleasure path to rack up a pile of complaints or cause a injury to force the government to look at us as real motorized vehicles(ie insurance). I personally see little difference in it being a 4 stroke or a 2 , regardless its a motor.

Oh I see, I reread your post, so basically in your state your 4stoke bike falls under the same laws as the low powered scooter things that really overweight people use to move around wall mart?

Regardless I think its in really poor taste to run a motor in a non motorized path. But I guess I don't live where you live so carry on, hope ya don't hurt someone .
If you live in CA--here is the relevant section of the California Vehicle Code (sec 24016). Look at (3) below, it clearly says "not a motor vehicle". However, there are limits on motor sizes and speed (30mph max).

24016. (a) A motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of
Section 406 shall meet the following criteria:
(1) Comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for
bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R.
1512.1, et seq.) or the requirements adopted by the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. 571.1, et seq.) in
accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of
1966 (15 U.S.C. Sec. 1381, et seq.) for motor driven cycles.
(2) Operate in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged
or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operate in a
manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism
that, when released, will cause the electric motor to disengage or
cease to function.
(b) All of the following apply to a motorized bicycle described in
subdivision (b) of Section 406:
(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person
is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets
the standards described in Section 21212.
(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections
21200 and 21200.5.
(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the
provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver'
s licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a
motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16
years of age or older.
(5) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle shall certify that
it complies with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for
bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R.
1512.1, et seq.).
(c) No person shall tamper with or modify a motorized bicycle
described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 so as to increase the
speed capability of the bicycle.

Note: local city ordinances may differ

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think a few are missing the point.
"Motor Vehicle" and "Motorized Vehicle" are not the same thing. States have wording in their laws to describe what they consider a "Motor Vehicle". But has anyone ever found a legal description for "Motorized Vehicle"?

There is a park near my house that has signs that say "No Motorized Vehicles" and it goes on to say, "No Remote Control Toys". Does that mean a child with a remote controled car can't run it on the trails? Your guess is as good as mine on that. This same park prohibits...dogs, fishing, kite flying, toy rockets, any flying objects (Frizibe?) but, you can bring your kids to scream their heads off for three or four hours playing soccer. In fact, soccer is about the only thing you can do in that park that's not prohibited by the signs placed there by the county. Same for the bike trails through it.

There is no clear cut defination of a "Motorized Vehicle" and as yet no one here has posted a copy of any law that does define it.
The issue as I see it is that if we continue to be a nuisance to the majority of the people who use bike trails, we will be regulated. This is why I stress being considerate when we use them. Slow down, don't harass the spandex/dog walkers/people with kids and dogs and be courteous. If you encounter opposition, just ride away and don't get into confrontations which can only escalate into legal issues eventually.
Just my opinion.

Tom

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
SO today I am heading by the hospital in my car and it is a three way intersection with two stops signs. I am headed up the road and can turn right or go straight without stopping. A Bike comes flying down the road from the hospital road and he has a stop sign. I forget to put my blinker on to go right and he locks it up to stop thinking I am going straight, with full intention of blowing stop sign, he flips me off and screams use your blinker A** ****

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I've never had a problem maybe their just jealous that their bikes are much slower and unattractive
I didn't mean to suggest that I have a big problem with other bicyclists. I should say that the majority of people I meet are interested in asking me questions about my bike and how I like it or otherwise have no problem with me or my MB. When I encounter hostility or disapproval from other bicyclists I I usually just smile and go about my day. I was just pointing out the fact that there is some hostility toward MBs from a minority number of peddlers.

I've also noticed that some bike shops in my town have no interest in selling stuff to MB'ers, I guess they are worried about liability lawsuits or something but some are not interested in selling me anything more than seat or a lock. They mostly know nothing about parts like duel brake levers or extended pedal cranks. I buy just about everything on-line.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think a few are missing the point.
"Motor Vehicle" and "Motorized Vehicle" are not the same thing. States have wording in their laws to describe what they consider a "Motor Vehicle". But has anyone ever found a legal description for "Motorized Vehicle"?

There is a park near my house that has signs that say "No Motorized Vehicles" and it goes on to say, "No Remote Control Toys". Does that mean a child with a remote controled car can't run it on the trails? Your guess is as good as mine on that. This same park prohibits...dogs, fishing, kite flying, toy rockets, any flying objects (Frizibe?) but, you can bring your kids to scream their heads off for three or four hours playing soccer. In fact, soccer is about the only thing you can do in that park that's not prohibited by the signs placed there by the county. Same for the bike trails through it.

There is no clear cut defination of a "Motorized Vehicle" and as yet no one here has posted a copy of any law that does define it.
The issue as I see it is that if we continue to be a nuisance to the majority of the people who use bike trails, we will be regulated. This is why I stress being considerate when we use them. Slow down, don't harass the spandex/dog walkers/people with kids and dogs and be courteous. If you encounter opposition, just ride away and don't get into confrontations which can only escalate into legal issues eventually.
Just my opinion.

Tom
Well said.