Auto Bike project advice please

GoldenMotor.com

upsrogue

Jul 14, 2009
Arizona
I picked up a Auto Bike yesterday for $50, its in very nice shape.
For those that don't know what it is, well it's a 6 speed auto shifting bike and that's about it.

I'm going to put a 2 stroke on it, it will be my 3rd project.

Now I'm wondering if it would pay to also put a shift kit on it as well, never did a shift kit before, but what little I have read about them is you have to put the bike back in 1st gear manually when you come to a stop. Well with to Auto Bike it will do this for you.

I still have to measure the space between the rear tire and the seat post upright to see if there is even enough room for the shift kit to fit.

Mean while what are you guy's thoughts on such a project?? usflg

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Could you tell us Make, Model & year on this auto bike? I would like to learn more about these. Do you know if the shift points are preset, or if they can be set to shift sooner or later?
Having a messed up leg, I would want to explore the possibility of an auto bike shifting to lower gears sooner or staying in them longer. My own MB has a smaller 36T pedal crank so that crank resistance is at a minimum.
I'm not looking to pedal fast, just easily and far. And I'd rather not walk a bike up a hill.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Allen, I'm assuming Upsrogue is talking about the first Auto Bikes which had the weights that slid up and down on the spokes. Other than pictures I've never seen one. I own the current version the Land Rider Deluxe. On these you do have three points of adjustment which will affect the shift points. I installed a Staton Inc crank kit on my bike. I manually shift the front three gears and the rear seven shift automatically.