Gas tank options

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
Does anyone know where these tanks are sold?

I like that it is out of the way on mountain bikes. For cruisers or others it probably wouldn't be to good. I get the feeling that you have to make your own drilling for a petcock valve though.
heres the link to his build up for the rotten orange as he calls it was actualy the inspiration for my build.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2308

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum, but I am done with my first bike. Tank, frame, tool box, handle bar home made. Grubee engine. The rest hand picked from different shops. Was on display at a local exhibition. Somebody liked it, so it went to Finland. Had a chance to ride it for a few miles. Loved it, so I am working on 4 other ones. 3 Indians, one Flying Merkel. Engine will be a single speed, auto clutch 50cc, high RPM 2 stroke. The other a 70 cc 4 stroke and I am still undecided on the 3rd and 4th one.
Not too many guys heard about these bikes around here, but word gets around fast, + the exhibition drew a big crowd. Had to build some Indian tanks already for new fans.
Keep on motorized biking!

Attachments

Last edited:

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Roadapple said:
Since this gas tank thread is still going I'll throw in my question. I am looking for someone who will modify a Felt cruiser with the top tube gas tank or a vender who sells a Felt cruiser frame (Felt Cavnas) with the modification completed.
I don't have the skills or the inclination to do the fabrication myself and am willing to pay someone for their expertise.
Thanks for any leads,
Roadapple
Find any takers on this? I would suspect that taking on the liability of a leaking frame would be enough to keep someone from offering the service. After reading what is involved and assuming I'd have to ship my frame to have it done, I'd still be curious if a shop is offering the service and at what fee. I'm with Roadapple on this one. If there's wet epoxy I'm going to stick my fingers in it and then smudge something important to me. It's the way it is with me and wet glue.

I found a very comprehensive video walking you through each step of sealing the tank and installing the petcock & bung.
http://youtu.be/pEaVHJ8NBTo
Unfortunately, due to my very low vision, I would end up drilling the holes in the wrong side of the tank, or like Harold, first gluing myself to the frame and then somehow gluing both the frame and me to the ceiling.
I want to use a Felt 1903 frame and at $770.00 + shipping, I can’t afford a miscue. The black paint on my Worksman BTR was easy to touch up when I removed the chain guard tabs; this Felt build would be far too expensive to mess up. I’d rather pay some sighted person to do it right.
Roadapple

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
thats all? a little more instruction would help.. GREAT list of items.. but...what do you do with the foam? maybe a link to a post?
There's a whole thread on this somewhere here, but the essentials are simple:

The foam is meant to be carved in the shape of the tank, a little smaller than actual size though. I think you install fittings in the foam before the fabrication process, but don't quote me.

You put the fiberglass onto the foam pattern using the mixed resin and hardener. When it cures, you have a fiberglass tank shell around a foam block. You pour some acetone into the shell to dissolve the foam, pour out the gunk, rinse thoroughly, and you have a gas tank. Sand and paint to taste.