disc brake conversion

GoldenMotor.com

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
i want to add a disc brake to the front of my cruiser. i have painted wheels so if i use a side pull brake it will rub the paint off. im looking for something i can add to a bike that never had it.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I don't know how much you know about bikes so I am going to go into detail.

You will need a fork that has a mount for a caliper. This I am 99% sure will only be a mountain bike fork. They do make them in a solid (non suspension) mountain bike fork if you want to keep the cruiser look.

A bike fork has a part called a steerer tube. It is the tube that goes through the bike frame. The hardware that has the bearings and holds the steerer tube into the frame so it can rotate is called the headset.

You will most likely have to change the headset because cruisers use what is called a threaded headset. This means the steerer tube on the fork is threaded. Mountain bikes use non threaded headsets. Some older mountain bikes use threaded like your cruisers but they won't have the tab on the fork for the caliper.

Since you will have to change the headset you will need a new stem (the part that attaches to the handle bars.

You will also need a new hub that has mounts for a disc for the disc brake. This means you will have to take your wheel apart and have your painted rim laced with new spokes to your new hub.

As a recap you will need a new hub, spokes, rebuild wheel, new fork, headset, new stem at the least plus the brake and brake lever.

Here is the break down in cost:

brake - 45$
lever - 20$
headset - 30$
fork- 50-100$
stem- 25$
spokes - 35$
shop to build wheels -35$
hub- 40$

That is 280 -330$

You could do it cheaper with used parts on ebay.

Another thing I need to mention is they make different diameters of steerer tubes. The two most common is 1" and 1 1/8". Mountain bike forks are most commonly 1 1/8". I am not sure about cruisers. The bike shop can tell you what size it is. If it is 1" it will be hard to find a 1" with disc brake tab fork but probably not imposible.

Hope this helps

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I just thought, There might be some guys on here that know of a company that makes and easy replacement fork for you. I don't know much about motorizing cruisers. There are a lot of people like the sponsors on the sides of this site that make specialty parts for us. Maybe there is someone making a kit for this?

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
im wanting something i can bolt on to a bike that never had it. mabe replace the hub and bolt on a caliper to the fork. venice has added disc brakes to his bikes but cant find where he gets them.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
i was thinking about this idea

Single Speed Conversion Kit w/Cog and Guides SSK-3 Single Speed -- i wonder if i do this if i will need an coaster brake or will this do ? any body knows ? P.S if anyone can find a kit like this at ebay or anywhere on this site please paste link -- i have a picture but no Justifiable link to post here
i want to add a disc brake to the front of my cruiser. i have painted wheels so if i use a side pull brake it will rub the paint off. im looking for something i can add to a bike that never had it.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
im wanting something i can bolt on to a bike that never had it. mabe replace the hub and bolt on a caliper to the fork. venice has added disc brakes to his bikes but cant find where he gets them.

I make & sell the mounts.
I'm currently out of stock on the Schwinn style mounts, but I have plenty of the Monark disc mounts.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca

Attachments

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I forgot to mention the the link say the kits for chopper forks disregard that the kit works on any standard forks,it spins onto your hub,you must have threads on the left side of your hub.then you attach the billet disc brake adapter to your keystay,then attach your disc brake caliper to that,and bodda bing you got disc brakes,this was very easy to do.and like i said works very well,youll be able to stop on a dime.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
that is way cool brake kit randog

that is way cool brake kit randog - i like it a lot / i may have issues with capiper mounting holes on my forlks,, guess i would need the bracket Disc Brake Bracket Billet - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. ?
I forgot to mention the the link say the kits for chopper forks disregard that the kit works on any standard forks,it spins onto your hub,you must have threads on the left side of your hub.then you attach the billet disc brake adapter to your keystay,then attach your disc brake caliper to that,and bodda bing you got disc brakes,this was very easy to do.and like i said works very well,youll be able to stop on a dime.

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
yeah you would need the billet bracket *Kicking*,and yeah its flipping sweet,I've done that disc brake set up on three of my bikes now,and I would never go back to standard brakes agin.The hole set up costs about $70 bucks thats the disc brake system and billit bracket,thats pretty cheap considering I've paid $80 bucks for my Avid Ultimate Pro V Brakes setup,and my disc brake setup stops way better then my avids.

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Anybody know if there is an adaptor to change the band brake on a heavy duty hub to a disc? If there isn't that any of you know of, I guess that will be my next project.

I just changed my mechanical pull (cable) disc brake out for a hydraulic and man what a difference. Hydraulic is the way to go.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I think the best setup for that nice bike would be a front drum/hub laced to your existing rim.

It would be in keeping with the style as well.

Some hub brakes include a generater as well.

Shimano, Sturmey Archer and others make them.

metalliatic

Mar 14, 2010
Louisville Ky
I think the best setup for that nice bike would be a front drum/hub laced to your existing rim.

It would be in keeping with the style as well.

Some hub brakes include a generater as well.

Shimano, Sturmey Archer and others make them.
thats good thinking, i didnt think of that. thanks