Why did my pipe discolor so quickly?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Just got my bike running yesterday and after just a few minutes the pipe was quite discolored. I know some discoloration should be expected but it is pretty bad! The engine fired right up and seems to be running great (what a blast!). I am using a 16-1 fuel ratio as recomended for breakin, is that to rich on oil? Maybe i need to adjust the air fuel mix? But like i said it is running strong and I'm surprised it is not louder- quiet is good. I just dont want to do any damage or cause premature engine failure. Any help would be great! I also have the needle in the factory setting- I think on the second from the bottom for the E clip.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
the exhaust pipe is chrome. I will lean out the oil in the mix, I thought i had read somewhere here that 16-1 was to much. But like i said it running great. good idle, smooth reving, actually impressed with it!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just a word of caution about the engine break-in period. Don't ride with the throttle wide open for extended periods of time for the first two or three tanks of fuel. Vary your speed going from a slow cruise to WOT then back to a cool down time. I'm not saying this is the cause of the heat affected area of your pipe but it can contribute to it if the engine is operated at full throttle for long stretches until after it has had a chance to properly seat the rings. Nougat is correct in that the Chinese chrome is not the best quality but even a good triple chrome plate will discolor after a period of time given enough heat. Enjoy your bike and ride safe. By the way, congratulations on your successful build.
Tom

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
One of the most common problems involving motorcycle parts is that which involve exhaust systems. These problems may include cosmetic problems like bluing and other related discrepancies.
If you are already in possession of your desired motorcycle exhaust, be sure to coat it with Blue-Shield, Dyno Kote or other compatible products in order to preclude the exhaust from turning blue.
If your exhaust system has transformed from chrome to bluish black, use blue-away, blue-buster and other suitable product depending on your bike’s brand. Apply it with a little elbow grease to achieve best results.

In case your pipes become blue too quickly or over and over again, it can be a manifestation that the air-fuel mixture or timing is not right or accurate. To overdo the mixture and make it overly rich can turn the pipe or muffler blue. This is because the unburned gas ignites on a baffle or hot spot. Too lean mixture or timing can cause pinging. It can also turn an extremely hot exhaust into blue.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if this was any other exhaust, i'd agree with Gene, above. but with these, it discolors because "you get what you pay for."

i don't think cleaning it or treating it with any product will help. these exhausts run too hot, are poorly built, and it is what it is.

i use a chemical paint stripper on the black exhausts before i even mount them. get it down to steel, and watch it turn blue-black.

my first black exhaust burnt off half the paint the first day. it was the only time my bike ever smoked, and i thought it was on fire for a second, because of the smell.

plus, the painted ones use about 37 coats of thick black paint (give or take 13 coats,) and it's a real pain to get it all off.

it's just one of those things we have to put up with when riding these bikes.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
All great information thank you guys. I new the pipe would discolor, was just concerned that i might be doing some kind of damage to the engine. I have not been riding to much at full throttle knowing that it is important to break it in. I am waiting for the ngk spark plug and looking at fabricating a new chain tensioner- saw some good ideas- no problems yet but just looking at it makes me worry! Took it to the grocery store today, what a blast and my daughter just loves riding in her trailer behind! thank you!