Miele 18" motor-assist MTB build.

GoldenMotor.com

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
The GT2 frames gasbike has are not Grubee frames, Don quit selling to them 2 years ago, they are knock-offs.

That doesn't necessarily make them bad, just not Grubee.
Speaking of Grubee, Don has a warehouse in the Midwest now and sending a cargo container of parts like the GT2 frames, new 10G 4-stroke transfer cases, and finally, 2015 EPA certified real GT5a 66cc 2-stroke engines.

No more middle man for US distribution.
Ah.. well, hopefully it's of decent enough quality (ie not weld-twisted motor mounts, etc..) that it is usable in a future project build. At that sale price, even with the added shipping cost ($40.00) to Canadeh .. it's worth a gamble.

The GT2 frame is perhaps a far-future project build, at this rate. At the moment the present project is enough, and in all honesty, if it works as well as i hope it does, the Nishiki may well get sold off/get the chop for the motor bits to re-cycle (pun intended) when the build bug bites again (maybe next winter, or a very slow ongoing build..).

No photos with this post.

A little disappointing in development - I've never really been a 'bicycle' guy enough to pay close attention (liberated from the push-bike variety, pretty much, with a drivers licence 30+ years ago) so i just didn't realize how incompatible the parts on the Raleigh (~1997) are to the Nishiki (~1993?) and the newish Miele (2012) project. Stem-size differences, crank differences, etc etc.. the Nishiki is stuck upon an evolutionary side-road. Many of the possibly workable Raleigh parts, are just plain unsuitable for the Miele build, in terms of fit.

When i'm done this thing, there is going to be little that hasn't been replaced/changed from the original Miele - wheels, frame, seat-post, cranks, forks and stem tube.. that'll be about it left original. The spare-parts bucket appears to be growing exponentially.

I do have a number of parts orders inbound, at the moment.. basically the bulk of what i need, to take this project very much further into assembly - including the motor mounts ordered to 'fix' the motor in it's final position, and build from there.

Parts-wise, i have had to get creative with parts re-configuring the handlebar controls setup.. nothing will remain original, from the stem upwards. Funny, i just don't seem to remember running into these complications, with my Nishiki.. none of the shifter controls or lever assemblies from the Raleigh or the Miele really work all that well, with the addition of a throttle and an additional LHS lever in play on a limited space, shorter handlebar... largest F'in bicycle bar found at 740mm, ordered. Will cut/trim down accordingly, once final space needs are determined. Of course that requires a new stem to fit, and so it goes on..

Last edited:

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Not sure yet if brain-wave, or brain-fart.

Playing with the new handlebar, stem and the controls setup for spacing. 740mm is pretty damn wide. I would like to reduce that if at all possible. I had picked up an accessories perch off of Amazon, as well as a set of grip shifters.

There isn't a law against *2* handlebars, is there? :D

A couple of sleeved tubes to reduce down to 7/8"s and pinned in place to form an abbreviated handlebar, and Bob's yer Uncle, maybe. A possible, outside the box thinking, solution to reducing total controls space, if i choose to go direct driven and retain the gear setup. This auxilliary mount could be reversed/rotated so that it is under and forward slightly of the handlebar.

This isn't the final controls configuration - not happy with levers, have hydraulic front brake inbound also.

Last edited:

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
You only need one shifter and it should be on the left side, can really clean up controls with a dual pull brake lever and get rid of the doubled up levers on the left only clutch
Unfortunately not going to work on the dual-pull brakes department, with hydraulics.. will have to see if inbound Avid brakes have a dual banjo-bolt option, or have enough swept volume individually to support two slaved cylinders - i would need to make gearing changes, and go back to a small hyraulic disc setup, and go forward on a SBP shift kit, i think, to make that work.

With the Nishiki i had neither these control spacing issues, nor an issue with a dual clutch/rear brake setup - i am used to juggling multiple controls with sidecar rigs. Now, i realize how easy the Nishiki setup was, in comparison to this.. or my brain is starting to mush with age.

I'll sort it all out, eventually.

Everything is basically on hold, until i get the motor-mounts. All i have left to do, is play with hair-brained ideas in boredom, until they show.

Today was another good day with the Postie's arrival.. GT2A bend Arrow motorcycles exhaust. It'll either go on the (future) GT2A project, or it'll work on this one - depending on final engine in frame incline angle.

Last edited:

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
It should work, but will be tight with the Miele frame down tube. I've got pipe wrap to form a thermal buffer.

Got a few more parts in past week, and coming down to final configuration of rear rack assemby .. things will be a lot tighter, integrated than in photo. Lots of custom brackets will need to be made up.

Just waiting on the motor mounts, everything hinges on those.

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
This Miele Project obviously died.. it morphed into a Gas bike/Skyhawk frame Build using many of the components i squirreled away for the Miele build, that i might start documenting tomorrow, since i'm coming up to pulling it off the bench in the next few weeks.. it'll be a different thread. Yeah, 5+ years on. I move slow. Life got in the way, other projects jumped the queue, yadda yadda. This one has a bit going on...

20201006_182748[1].jpg