new to me bike help needed

GoldenMotor.com

nimbus

Oct 20, 2012
Dyersburg Tn
well i bought a used bike along with a second kit. the first motor was great until it broke. is it fixable? see picture. i swapped out the motor but its not as powerful... wat do. 60\80cc motor. any help is appreciated thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
anything is fixable with enough effort, but I'd just save this for parts

a new motor needs to run-in for quite a while to develop full power

nimbus

Oct 20, 2012
Dyersburg Tn
OK a little more help. i had to take the end of my muffler off to get the second motor to start. when i did some metal pellets fell out I'm guessing its a piston ring that got eaten by the motor hence the loss of power. I'm scared to open the top of the motor cause i read it needs a tork wrench.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
A lot of mufflers have those pellets loose in them - I've always assumed them to be parts of the catalytic converter that didn't get bonded properly. I often hear them rattling around in mufflers new, right out of the box.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Has it been run-in enough to get full power yet?? Often takes a couple hundred miles.

nimbus

Oct 20, 2012
Dyersburg Tn
they were both used. doesn't sound exactly as good as the previous motor. kinda knocks or something at higher rpms.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, take out the spark plug & turn the motor by hand to see if you feel the piston bump the head

next use a screw driver to pry up a bit on each side of the crank to see if one of the main bearings is loose

if all that is good, it may just be a noisy motor

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
that part would fix it but it's a "heck" of a job (why is the "H" word blocked?!?! are we in kindergarden?) anyway... try using the old carburetor (thing that the fuel goes into) as the new one might not be adjusted properly and if it doesn't get enough fuel, which sounds like might be the case, it can ruin the engine. first try swapping the carburetor it should fix whatever problem you have. what type of carb do you have? pics would help.

Last edited: