Cool Speedometer

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wanted a cool analog speedo for my Lifan bike. Choices are limited mainly to junk new production units or Hi$$ vintage American units. Found this Smiths replica chronometric unit. I really like a chronometric speedo, love watching them work. Any way also bought the matching metal drive unit, and cable. The wheel on the bike is basically the same size overall as the Enfield wheel so it should be fairly accurate. Am really more interested in recording mileage than speed, but speed is cool too. Was around $60 shipped about what a vintage SW would cost on average. The speedo is to be here today. Was in New Delhi India on Fri! Have to make minor mods to the drive to fit it, but looks do able.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedometer...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5f7db005&vxp=mtr

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the speedo right on time. Less than 4 days from India, imagine that! The drive and cable are comming from another vendor on the slow boat. The speedo seller gave accurate dimensions, so I had a bracket fabbed from an old gate hinge part waiting. Bolted right up perfectly. Had been running a cheapy analog in the same position and the bike cable fit the new speedo except fot the threads. Gonna rig it in and try it. Cant imagine I would be lucky enought to have the same ratio. This speedo was designed to run in a headlight nacelle so the case is raw. Gonna treat it to a coat of black. Heck its even illuminated! Any way love the look, compliments the bike perfectly! If a vintage speedo is needed for a build check em out.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the coments guys! To answer a few questions, the displacement is 125cc. The reason for the 80mph speedo is the bike is capable of 60mph so the 80 offered a good range of needle travel. There were better deals on 120 or 150mph units, but in its normal operating range(40+mph) needle travel would be minimal, making readings more difficult. Its a great bike, more in the vintage of late 50s early 60s. I first rode this style engine in 1963 when a friend of mine got a Honda 50. Sounds just like it but MUCH faster, kind of a blast from my past. Heres a link if you are interested.http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36108

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Interested in getting one. The cheap taiwanese anolog speedo can stand up to the vibrations.
Did u use the same hub drive from the cheap speedo?
And do u have the link from were u purchased the cable?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The speedo works with the cable and drive from a cheapo bike speedo, of course the ratio is wrong and the threaded nut on the cable is too small( I can work around the nut). The Smiths speedo is a 2:1 ratio, where most of the current analog drives are 3:1. I have been searching bicycle drives and have found 1:6 units but no 2:1 yet. Problem is nobody lists the ratios. I have the original drive on the way but dont know how difficult it will be to adapt. It is similar to a bicycle drive, but has pegs instead of paddles that go into the spokes. Enfield ran the drives on the front, and also on the rear wheel. The link is for a front cable, the rears are WAY long. This is a cool speedo that should be real durable, and its cheap enough. If I can hook up a 2:1 bicycle drive its basically a bolt on. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RE-Smith-Fr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f14f87ebb&vxp=mtr

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
That good to hear. Been looking for a more reliable and classic looking speedometer.
Yesterday as my odometer on the cheap speedometer was passing 100, my needle went and it started to go wild spinning around the whole gauge sometimes.