Are Motorized Bicycles the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
There are only hillbillies where I live(d), and none of them rode a bike.
I only see spandexers on the Green way trail, and motorized bikes aren't allowed.
This is one of the biggest reasons why I moved on to eBikes. Federal law specifically says low power eBikes are not considered motor vehicles, and also protects their right to ride on bike trails.

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
There are only hillbillies where I live(d), and none of them rode a bike.
I only see spandexers on the Green way trail, and motorized bikes aren't allowed.

They still give me the hairy eyeball, because I am not anorexic, and I ride in a t shirt, jeans, and 'regular' shoes. Oh, probably the 1976 Panasonic ten speed doesn't help. :)
Maybe if I wore spandex on my motorbike in my 210 lb frame, It would put me in the "brotherhood" and pick up a mile or two per hour on the top end at the same time.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Spandexers suck, but none of them give me any guff. I'm 6'2" 165lbs of redheaded redneck, I carry myself in such a way that folks understand violence IS an option.

I live in a very rual area, a few screwballs have TRIED to run me off the road. A red masonry brick tossed to the left solved the problem. It also got me a ticket for littering and a cup of coffee with Deputy Jesse Pollak.

I try not to be a jerk, but not everyone tries. Spandexers are rare in these parts, but so are bicyclists. I deal with all snobs the same way, kill em with kindness. Any one who thinks they're better than me, is only proving the opposite true.

Motorbikers Rule! 'Nuff said.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
lol, yup, I remember when I used to live on a road where this pair of drunk jackasses in a big red truck would frequently try to run me off the road or throw stuff at me as they went past. I got sick of it and started keeping a few smoke grenades (the kind they make for little kids that you have to actually pull the pin out of and that look like actual grenades) to throw back at them. Worked like a charm! The inside of their car filled with smoke and they had to pull over and spill out of their car and wait for the smoke to dissipate, by which time I was long gone. Plus there was that moment when the look of sheer terror on their faces before the smoke went off where they thought they'd screwed with the wrong guy and were about to get blown up. They never bothered me again.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've got a notion that might explain a lot of the 'spandex' attitude.

To start with, some of them are snobs. There are snobs everywhere and in all sorts of shapes and sizes, of course. But the whole roadie thing seems to attract snobs. They evaluate others based on the equipment these others have, and nothing more.

But I think that true bike snobs are not all that numerous. There's another fraction of that crowd, and I think it's fairly large, that are a bit different.

These are the ones who are grim, but not necessarily total jerks.

I think that they think --probably unconsciously-- that recreating at zero or low cost, for fun or economy, is 'unseemly' for a go-getting, 21st Century man.

But if it's classified as 'exercise' plus it's done with impressive equipment and documentation of progress and attainments, and if it's pursued with an almost businesslike attitude, then it's okay. Just make darned sure that you never let your guard down and let it show that you're doing it only for the sheer joy of it.

I might be trying to fit a bunch of different people into one mold here. Yet I do think that there are some who don't feel it's okay for an adult to simply 'play'. And economizing is downright shameful.

I've got a bit of sludge in my brain and I have a hole or two in the head. (Nothing too serious. I promise. Normal stuff.) But I sure am glad that I don't suffer from this sort of attitude. It must be horrible.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Agreed, Blue. I've never actually had the opportunity to chat with many of our Spandexers, they're typically fighting the wind, on their way out of town. I can't say they're snobs.

I can say that I see a lot of our society is stuck on "Image". I can't afford one, so it don't concern me much.

Locally my problems come from meth addicts, tweakers with holes in their brains, and Drain-O in their veins. Twice in the last year, it's taken a brick to get my point across. The first one is under the counter of the local country store, autographed per the owners request. These people will rob their mothers, and help her look for the stuff.

Back on topic...

Our snobs are all the same, folks with more money than brains. Around here, it's Doctors. Which are snobs everywhere else.

Who cares? We know who we are, and we rock! We push or pass 200mpg. I have maybe $500 wrapped up in my bike, total. So some dude got snookered out of twice that, and still has to pedal? Haha! Would i rock spandex? Well I guess that's a option, the girls would look twice for sure! But those helmets are a definite NO. I'll stick with my K-pot, thank you. Will I openly ridicule any male in that gear? No but I'll do it silently, like polite folk are taught! If some donkey wants to tell me all about his passion with dead eyes, I'll let him play parrot, then ill prattle on about guns, which that type hates. I can play the game, smiling at folks you despise is part of the red neck job description.

We are a niche, fill it! And be respectful, or someone will get offended, and screw everything up for us.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
"Will I openly ridicule any male in that gear? No but I'll do it silently, like polite folk are taught!" --mogollonmonster

That puts it pretty well!

I do have some respect for nice equipment. But a little is enough. And if that's all that the guy has got, then he doesn't have much. But I still won't laugh out loud because that's not a nice thing to do. But I allow myself a silent chuckle or two.

I have more respect for a guy who's making something old and, maybe, a little beat up a bit better day by day, idea by idea, modification by modification. I have a lot of respect for that. I wouldn't even want to laugh at that. Out loud or to myself. This is nothing to laugh at. This is inspiring!

It's part of the reason, I guess, that MBs have a lot of charm for me. A person can tinker and tinker and gradually turn himself into a sort of artist.

Pretty cool stuff!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lets remember to keep your religious opinions to yourself, guys. Religion and politics have no place here.

Thanks for understanding.

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I usually get "I've heard of those, I've never seen one up close" or "I was thinking of making one of those" The guys on motorcycles don't even look in my direction, I've got a feeling they think its an abomination. Most of the spandexers are ok with my abomination. I know they are secretly jealous when they see me pedaling my Raleigh twenty to and from the store. I use my bike for practical purposes...it's a tool. They use a bike for recreation, that makes it a toy or perhaps a piece of athletic equipment like a baseball mit.
i live in an upscale yuppie neighborhood and Its fair to say I have some yuppie in me as well, Nobody seems to think my Motor bike is Hillbilly.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
After having a MB since last September I've come to the conclusion, based on reactions from the people I've met, that we're like the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom lol.

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

What do I think? I think we're the most perfect form of personal transportation ever invented. We're just misunderstood.
That's funny as heck right there i don't care who you are!
Laughing Out Loud. laff
i don't see a lot of MB's around here but when i do i always wanted to build one.