question from a different kind of builder.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
First of all let me say I have lots of respect for guys who can cut and weld frames, and that I lack those skills. That said I still have questions about frames that you guys would be better able to answer than anyone else.

I build bikes for myself only. Like all of us, I have special needs, to some extent. Mostly it is a balance issue that ranges from mild to serious depending on the day. Over the last three years I have built all kinds of bikes. Some last longer than others. None has lasted more than a few months, since I am still experimenting.

My basic question, which you guys are uniquely qualified to answer, is "Does a bike with a longer frame have more stability." I ask because I have a bike that is a full sized frame 26" boy's bike. but I put 20" wheels on it because the leg lift to mount is less. So for that the 20" is better. My question is would the increased stability if any of the 26" frame be worth the adjustments required.

I have to switch the wheels, change the crank ring and weld a hanger on the back above the smaller rear wheel to make it usable. Is the few inches more length worth the effort. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I like long and low but not to an extreme . If you can get your seat possition behind crank, so that you swing legs forward into riding pos. You'll get the classic "c" body shape with arms and legs forward. On a pedal cycle correct seat height alows only one foot down while your butt is on seat. I feel that on an mb you should be able to put both feet down . It all seems to depend on how much you want to arch your back to reach bars.
So maybe slant back seat post and longer bars would be easer then other changes. And dont forget tire width ,more rubber on the road the better for stability. Just my opnions ,good luck getting it right.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks I had guessed at the tire width. I bought some 24 2.125 tires I plan to use when I feel like i have it right. I built that 26" frame and 20 wheel and attachments to run an e motor but I have started that motor in a month.

I have another raw frame and parts to build a second one, I just don't know how I feel about it.