Manic hub question..

GoldenMotor.com

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Even with the MM sprocket adapter I still get a lot more chain difference from tight to slack than you're getting on my DAX Titan and I've tried 3 chains, one of them a Tsubaki 415. Im sure it's the drive sprocket which I've used 2 of too, one of them far worse than the one on the bike now.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Even with the MM sprocket adapter I still get a lot more chain difference from tight to slack than you're getting on my DAX Titan and I've tried 3 chains, one of them a Tsubaki 415. Im sure it's the drive sprocket which I've used 2 of too, one of them far worse than the one on the bike now.
Did you find a decent fix?

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Did you find a decent fix?
No. My chain goes from 1/2" or so to about 2" from tight to loose, it was double that or worse before the MM sprocket adapter. DAX uses counter sprockets made just for their kit as far as I know so I don't know what can be done. I get so much chain/sprocket grinding on the DAX kit I just can't stand to ride it. I never could figure out if the grind comes from the engine to jackshaft chain or the jackshaft to wheel chain or both.

After months of trying I gave up on the DAX and bought a Staton. The Titan kit is gathering dust in my garage.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
No. My chain goes from 1/2" or so to about 2" from tight to loose, it was double that or worse before the MM sprocket adapter. DAX uses counter sprockets made just for their kit as far as I know so I don't know what can be done. I get so much chain/sprocket grinding on the DAX kit I just can't stand to ride it. I never could figure out if the grind comes from the engine to jackshaft chain or the jackshaft to wheel chain or both.

After months of trying I gave up on the DAX and bought a Staton. The Titan kit is gathering dust in my garage.
Buddy,

Do you have the rear rack mount set-up, or the in-frame?

Jim

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Buddy,

Do you have the rear rack mount set-up, or the in-frame?

Jim
It's the rack mount. Looking on the website it looks like they don't even sell them anymore. If they all ride like the one I have I'm not surprised they dropped them. The kit uses 3 of their counter type sprockets, one on the engine and 2 on the jackshaft. I don't know which one is the problem or if it's all of them. I'm sure it's at least one of them. I have one I took of the jackshaft that the teeth are so far off from centered I can see just looking at it that the low part of the sprocket where the chain actually rides is higher on one side and lower on the other. You should see what it looks like spinning on the jackshaft, up/down, up/down.

Last edited:

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Maybe the shaft on the DAX kit is bent??? Jims sprockets are 'dead on'!
It's not the jackshaft and it's not the sprocket adapter/sprocket. The grinding got considerably better with Jim's product but it's still too bad to ride as far as I'm concerened. It feels like it could lock up at any time. Those DAX counter sprockets look pretty cheap, I'm sure they are the problem.