Best Chain Lubricant??

GoldenMotor.com

videomandw

Jun 24, 2010
indiana
could anyone give me a recommendation on a good chain lubricant for my 2 cycle happy time drive chain. i saw on one post some one recommended chain saw bar oil. Is that good or is there something better?

thank you,
david
valparaiso, in

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've had very good luck with chainsaw lube. It is heavy and sticky, doesn't sling off as easily as other products I've tried and is cheaper than products marketed directly to motorcycle use. I clean my chain first in solvent to get the grime out then submerge the chain in chainsaw chain and bar lube then hang them up to drip for a while. Wipe the excess off before reinstalling and you're good to go. You'll get more advice I'm sure so read and decide for yourself.
Tom

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
i am currently using some kind of dry wax lube that you squirt on to the chain it works well but am looking for a cheaper alternative

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I use bar chain oil, I put it into a squeeze mustard bottle, like the ones they used to use in dairy bar years ago before the just used the bottle. I found them at China Mart (WalMart)

They come in opaque, red and yellow for about a buck. Very easy application.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I use dry aerosol lube got a can of it @ wally world for about 4$... I used 3 in 1 oil before that and only used that on the chain tensioner roller as that was the only part on my bike that didn't get adequate lube.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Tri-Flow...go easy as it's very tenacious and wipe down the chain after application. It really penetrates and lubes well.
AMEN for tri-flow Just a little skwert and your good to go. I have been using it for years and not just for chains.

HoopteeRider

Jun 16, 2010
Florida
I dont like an oily chain every piece of dirt and sand sticks to it making it real dirty mess. I do use graphite. in a product called LockEase yep for key locks this keeps it nice slippery and dry.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I dont like an oily chain every piece of dirt and sand sticks to it making it real dirty mess. I do use graphite. in a product called LockEase yep for key locks this keeps it nice slippery and dry.
Yes...graphite is good stuff, and dry too. I just find it a little difficult to apply to a chain properly. An o-ring sealed chain would be nice also.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I use bacon grease. If you have an old chain around or any thing rusting up, try a lil. Is really light and penetrates amazingly well. The Romans used it on their chariots when they invaded western Europe in 1939 so has to be some thing to it.

..and it is free. Well, after Sunday morning breakfasts.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use bacon grease. If you have an old chain around or any thing rusting up, try a lil. Is really light and penetrates amazingly well. The Romans used it on their chariots when they invaded western Europe in 1939 so has to be some thing to it.

..and it is free. Well, after Sunday morning breakfasts.
The Romans were still using chariots in 1939? I kinda figured that they'd be into cars by then.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You know what they say: "When in Rome..." :)
Dan, are you sure that was Rome? I was thinking the Germans had something to do with that. I think they called WW II ?
Tom

Last edited: