Engine on order, Hooray!

GoldenMotor.com

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Now it's just a matter of time, I hope it is fully intact when it arrives, as this is my first attempt at a build, or anything to do with small engines for that matter. Does anyone have any preparatory tips, like what kinds of tools/whatnot I'll need to acquire.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
small adjustable wrench
gas resistant(yellow) teflon tape to put around threads on fuel tank petcock
o-ring for carb to intake : 5/8"id 3/4"od x 1/16" wall
tube of high temp silicone sealant to be used around intake
philips screw driver and flat head screwdriver
plastic ties and black tape
small pliers and/or needle nose pliers
small wire cutters to cut off extra clutch cable and other stuff

Last edited:

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Ok, thanks. I think I have most of those items laying around.

I am going to mount the motor on a Windwood, and am curious as to what type of brakes to use, will bmx side-pulls fit over the fenders or will I have to take the fenders off? I am looking for the penny solutions as opposed to the ten dollar solutions. What are some must haves, front brake obviously. Anything else safety wise that you can think of?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
what kind of bike do you have?

on my swchinn del mar i drilled out the ribbets on the stock fender mount and bolted a small steel L mount and put a thin piece of rubber between the fender and fork.
the stock fender mount vibrated and broke,i took off fender to drill.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
after my fender broke it didnt come all the way off but it was real loose.
i took it off and saw that the thin fender mount tab broke off.
the tab is held on to the fender by 2 ribbetts, the tab bolts to the bike threw a hole.
i took off fender and drilled out the ribbets and the tab is off,
next i found a small steel "L" shaped braket and bolted it in place of the tab on the fender.
washers may be need if drilled holes are bigger than bolt.
and i bolted that to the bike the same as the stock tab. i also added a thin piece of rubber between fender and bike to stop vibration.

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Alright sounds good, thank you for the tip, I will definitely look into doing that as soon as I can. How about the rear fender, do I need to do anything about it?