MrLarkins Upgrades

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
MrLarkins' MB Upgrades

Well, this is the summer for upgrades. I've already put new front suspension forks on the ol' bike as well as dual pull brakes. Now I just got my shifter kit, exhaust expansion pipes, new cables, and custom clutch arm. I plan on tearing it all down to the frame, sanding, painting and rebuilding with the new additions. I will post pictures of the process so you can join in the fun.

Here is what I started with today:

Attachments

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Very cool and enjoy the journey. If you need any help, SBP is here for ya. Just noticed the one piece cranks, hope you got the adapter for the Shift Kit install.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I just noticed that it appears that you have a 1 piece crank. You will need a bottom bracket adapter to use the cranks and spindle that comes with the Shift Kit.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
oh, i didn't know it was needed. what is the shifter kit designed for then? i thought 1 piece cranks were standard.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Well there is no standard but 1 piece cranks are used on most cruiser style and some inexpensive bikes. Three piece is standard on most mountain bikes. The requirements brochure on our website where you order the kit explains what is necessary for kit installation. It isn't a big deal but you will need the adapter kit. Here is a link.
Sick Bike Parts

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
OK thanks...I have a scrap (newer actually, but still scrap) mountain bike...i'll pull its crank and see if it fits and if its a 1 piece.

thanks for the heads up. I just started the tear down faze. I got sooooo greasy! Such fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
let the painting begin...mostly yellow, i do have some black metallic as well for accents.

and my wife walked into the work area and saw all the pieces (see pic #2) and asked if I thought I could get it all back together....my luck, I'll have a piece or two left over!

Attachments

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
ok, i finished the primer today...its yellow primer. i am open for suggestions about the rest of the painting...i plan on yellow and black metallic, but as to what design exactly i haven't decided. any suggestions? yellow handle bars or black metallic? main frame design? i'd prefer NOT solid yellow.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
thanks...but the pi symbol it gone now...removed, sanded and repainted the tank...i hope to put a STEELERS emblem on it.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
started adding the jackshaft today...had to convert my one piece crank setup to a 3 piece setup...purchased the adapter from sickbikeparts...wish there were instructions on the installation...i had to 'figure' it out as i went. after hours and several attempts , i think i got it right

i could only use 3 of the long bolts that pull the adapter together. the fourth had a frame post in the way.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
So you couldn't clock it to avoid the frame member protrusion? Or you could grind the protrusion out of the way.

These are good suggestions to include in an instruction sheet. Thanks!

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
nah, the best 'i could do by clocking it was 3...you think that'll be a problem?

i would have to gring about an inch of pipe!

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
have the dremel, but not a carbide burr, let me see what my neighbor has...he claims he has any tool i'd need ...

you think it really will be a problem?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
On one hand I can guess that 3 screws will hold, going by (guessing) that the outward forces will not be stronger than the cross section of the three together.

OTOH I would think you would want the force to be evenly distributed.

You actually have a full 1" of tube to cut (length)? Can you get a small hacksaw blade in there? Sawzall (careful) with a small blade?