My "Slick" City Touring/Commuter

GoldenMotor.com

GatorGuy

Feb 16, 2009
Florida
Well, I have only put 50 miles on it before I had a piston meltdown, but I’ve ordered a new cylinder, piston, and rings. I guess I need to break it in at 15mph instead of 20. Anyway, I used to ride brevets (best time was 600k / 372 miles in 32 hours and 23 minutes – no motor), so I moved my GPS mount as well as my lighting kit to my old beater. I put slicks on it since I love to ride slicks (used to 700c). Once I get my proper break-in completed with my new cylinder and piston, I am anxious to see how fast she’ll go.

My plan is to ride to work, saving me about $3.50 every day (w/ gas at $2.15 per gallon). That's almost $75 per month or close to $900 per year!!!

reddd

Attachments

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Hey GG. That loooks like a nice commuter. I do some road racing bikes. ( no motor) its always good fun.
Not good to hear bout ur piston. havent heared of that b4??
Hope u get it fixed soon!.
Have fun

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think you melted the piston due to a lean condition more than improper break in.

Make sure your next set up run plenty rich, with no air leaks. (something these engines are prone to.)

GatorGuy

Feb 16, 2009
Florida
Bikeguy Joe,

I was running pretty rich 16:1. See this thread for the discovery of the piston meltdown
http://motorbicycling.com/f34/great-spark-no-start-6207.html

I personally like the GPS. This really helps in those rural areas that you have no idea where you are. Plus, I can program a destination and tell it to keep me off the highways and it uses backroad to got me there. (Plus it looks cool when your running down the street and in the compass/speedometer mode)

.shft.

GatorGuy

Feb 16, 2009
Florida
Motoschwinn,

The "added" piece is a heat shield and it comes on the new "hush" exhausts. The other neat thing added is the slant head on the 69cc (advertised as 80cc) engines. Some say this adds to the compression since the spark plug is angled at 45 deg. This is my first bike motor, so i do not know if there is a difference. There are a few local motorbicyclists here and we will be are getting together. Maybe they can offer some insight as to any differences.

dnut