How to tell the difference between 49 and 66cc?

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
Hey guys, I just got a motorized bike engine and I do not know if it is 49 or 66cc. Is there a way I can tell without taking it apart (head nut size for instance)? Also, I heard that to take the engine head off, I need a tool called a torque wrench. Is this right, or can I use a regular socket wrench? Thanks

needtransportation

Mar 17, 2014
Knoxville
I cant help you with how to know the difference between sizes but you DO NOT need a torque wrench to take it off. A torque wrench measures how much force you are applying while tightening to ensure that things are tight enough to to stay together but not tight enough to break bolts. It is for tightening bolts and you can live without it if you are experienced with the feel

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
49cc more likely will have 6mm head studs, 66 more likely 8mm head studs.
but this may not be a golden rule. there is a slight difference in head stud spacing also, the 66 has 45mm centre to centre head stud spacing, not sure of the 49, but it's less.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have an old 2009 model 66cc engine that has 6mm studs 47mm bore and also has a smaller bolt pattern for jug/head, it also has a flat top piston and a straight plug head that has a much smaller combustion chamber, it was a Boygofast motor that was labeled as a Red Bat Engine, probably not to many of those still out there but it is an odd ball compared to the 66cc engine we have now, it has been an excellent engine as far as longevity, but it will vibrate your socks off at higher rpms.....lol

Measure the bore and you'll know 100% what you have but most likely if it has 6mm studs it is likely to be a 49cc and 8mm being most likelya 66c, qgain measuring the bore is the best way to be certain.

Map
Peace

Last edited:

vhatley

Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73118
66cc will have a 47mm piston/bore, 49cc is a 40mm piston.
there is also a 45mm piston, but quite rare.
AoSom has the rare 60cc...thought I was the only one who knew bout that...and don't trust their online specs...It's a 66cc low-end. The crank, rod, bearings, ****, even the magneto and clutch components are all 66cc. JUST the actual crankcase is fit to a jug that is the 45mm spec.

These ALWAYS HAVE THE 6MM stud size and a plug in the center of he domed head...ALMOST a HEMI :D:D

Stu

Sep 12, 2018
Yea I have 6mm studs 45mm piston and a flat domed top as you say like a hemi lol.. Umm I think we have same engine. My part number is 26707. Be interesting if we have same engine or if she is a low 49cc