Engine Swap, Chain Strength

GoldenMotor.com

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
SO... mr thatsdax's carburator screwed up my motor on my bike with a jackshaft kit on it... Carb wouldn't idle, kept trying to fix, then bam something wrong loud noises... Got a motor, swapping out motors with a jackshaft kit is such a hassle... anyways, trying to upgrade the 410 chain that came with the jackshaft kit. Any opinions? Has anyone tried half link chains? or 510hx chain? what do you guys run.?usflg

Last edited:

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Did you check to see if the plug is white/melted? Otherwise I highly doubt its the carb. These engines like to do that at completely random times.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I've tried "TUNING" the carb.. i've tried everything. checked for air leaks, check seals, jets, cable, gas mixture, everything.. non controllable idle. even duane himself gave up.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Anyways, this thread was supposed to be about chains. whats the strongest/most reliable chain to run on the jackshaft jig. has anyone run a complete half link chain?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you stating that the carb that DAX sold you screwed up your motor
if this was REALLY about chains and the parts listed used in a shift kit there was no need to even bring it up. Now was there?

judging by how that motor sounds you have more going on then what your telling us.
like maybe you dropped something metal in the motor and its causing you some problems.... Motors dont make a PING or TING sound if nothing is wrong

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
ive heard the best things about the 410 41 chain and the master links are sold in most big name stores and it can be bought on amazon for about as much as 415 from dealers i will be going to th 41 soon enough .

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Still always touting the KMC 415 INDUSTRIAL/TRIKE chain here- Once put a narrow spocket on the motor and tried to run a 410- it came derailled on the first attempt, and then I lost the woodruff key in the mess- so put the kit stuff back on just so I wouldn't have to fuss

Then I found the TRIKE chain a few months back- same 415 pitch and width, but with much more minimal plates and much better inner rollers than a kit chain- so it weighs half as much and rolls easier and quieter- you can really tell pedalling.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/im-really-jazzed-over-new-chain-34585.html

a slight stretch upon the first use and then with one adjustment I've been running it without a problem- got one on both builds- I think they were less than $13 shipped.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
Still always touting the KMC 415 INDUSTRIAL/TRIKE chain here- Once put a narrow spocket on the motor and tried to run a 410- it came derailled on the first attempt, and then I lost the woodruff key in the mess- so put the kit stuff back on just so I wouldn't have to fuss

Then I found the TRIKE chain a few months back- same 415 pitch and width, but with much more minimal plates and much better inner rollers than a kit chain- so it weighs half as much and rolls easier and quieter- you can really tell pedalling.

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/im-really-jazzed-over-new-chain-34585.html

a slight stretch upon the first use and then with one adjustment I've been running it without a problem- got one on both builds- I think they were less than $13 shipped.
Have you tried this on the shifter kit? I think the chain is 3/16'' wide as apposed to the 1/8''. does this size fit the front freewheel?