Hi All - bitten by the bug

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I plan to build a motorized bike but can't decide if I want to throw one together to mess around with and then start a nicer build or just go straight into the time and expense of building something nicer...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My advice would be to build a simple bike for your first and get familiar with what's involved. Many members are accomplished and talented mechanics with years of automotive and motorcycle experience yet they will be the first to admit that motorizing a bicycle has its share of idiosyncrasies. Mastering those and building a super ride can be a challenge. Start simple and learn what it takes to build a reliable bike then move up from there. Just my opinion; there'll be others.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Tom...you said a mouthful. BUT, I wished that I started with a new bike. All I'm waiting for is the day I have to remove the engine, so I can paint my frame. Built in 3/2009 and still going strong. Of course I made engine modifications to start with. Hardware and such. Here is the third build I did for a friend...

Mikes HT bike pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

Oh, and I have way too many tools, and mechanical experience.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Al, are you relying on just the coaster brake for your stopping - does that worry you when you are in the saddle?