Northwoods Ridgedale Cruiser Build

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
looks nice and clean that way :)
how are you going to vent them ?
They have those double child proof caps that you have to push down and turn to remove. I'm thinking I can drill a hole in the inner cap and it will vent between to inner and outer caps. I hope.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Do you have a link to the chain tensioners with the drop out hole (the bracket)?
This is the bracket that has a Derailleur Hanger.

Universal Cycles -- DMR 10mm Chain Tugs w/ Derailleur Hanger

Then once you have a hanger you could use something like this.

DMR STS AND CASSETTE SPACER COMBO KIT at JensonUSA.com

Or forget the hanger and use this tensioner.

ETR/H / bike chain tensioners and other goodies / your friends at yess labs

I haven't actually tried either one so at this point this is just a theory, but it's what I'm going to try.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm going nuts waiting for my motor to get here (should be tomorrow). Decided since I'll have a motor I can drag around a little extra wait.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Got it. Now I can start deciding how I want to install it.

It says engine displacement 61cc. Hope that means 48cc in american.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
2 trips to the hardware store and 1 to the auto supply and $40 later this is all I got. I tried making 2 different front mounts and both times the holes I drilled were in the wrong place. Maybe I'll do better tomorrow. At least in keeping true to manly tradition I haven't looked at the instructions yet. Those are only as a last resort after trying everything else lol.

I removed the mounting studs and bought grade 8 bolts to put in their place. I can see one of those Chinese studs breaking off even with the block. I insist on only american bolts snapping off in my block. I do have a plan to mount the engine, if I could just drill a hole straight.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is my newest (older) Ridgedale Cruiser Build, it used to be a 2-stroke (just added a couple more strokes).....love these aluminum frames!

Cheers!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's real nice. Looks like they changed the frame slightly. How old is that bike?

I'm a big fan of the alloy frame too.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks, it's a couple years old. It was probably built around the same time as our Northwoods, it's just a slightly different model with cheaper componentry. I paid $119 for it brand new....hard to beat for what you get.dance1

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Finally got over the hump today. After 5 tries my front mount plate finally fit to the motor. It looks simple but I sure had a lot of trouble with it.

As you can see I used a hockey puck as a motor mount. I wish I could say it's my idea, but it's not. I'm sorry I can't remember the genius's name that thought of it, but he's on the forum somewhere. I've looked at so many mounts I can't remember now, but this was the one I liked best for my purposes. I'm not quite through with it yet, the muffler clamp I was going to use ended up too short. I have a plan, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

I also redid the studs today that I already redid yesterday, because last night I got a brain storm about doing it differently. Now I have grade 5 screws in the rear mounts that I chopped off about 1/2" longer than the stock studs. This will give me a place to mount my custom spring loaded chain tensioner that I haven't invented yet. As soon as I'm finished with it I'll probably paint the mount black

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The only problem I see with your puck mount is with the slit in the puck there, there's nothing attaching the engine to the downtube securely. You need a hoseclamp around the puck or that thing will jump off of the frame eventually.

You need to center the hole in the puck a bit more and put the slit to the inside of the downtube if you want this mount to work. I didn't design or invent this mount, but it's pretty clear to see if you study it a bit more. Just a suggestion....

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The puck is centered, it just doesn't look like it in the pic. The clamp I planned to use was too short. I'm going to make a longer one tomorrow.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The puck is centered, it just doesn't look like it in the pic. The clamp I planned to use was too short. I'm going to make a longer one tomorrow.
The mount looks great, was just sayin to center it more aft than fore...not left to right. And put the split to the engine side, not the outside of the downtube....you'll have no support otherwise.

The front mount will not be secure the way it is in these pics....or I'm really missing something?

Just trying to help....cheers.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The mount looks great, was just sayin to center it more aft than fore...not left to right. And put the split to the engine side, not the outside of the downtube....you'll have no support otherwise.

The front mount will not be secure the way it is in these pics....or I'm really missing something?

Just trying to help....cheers.
Oh ok, now I get what you're saying. I appreciate your warning. Don't stop.

This is a copy of someones mount that they claim has been working for months without issue. I'll keep a close eye on it for evidence it's starting to fail. Hockey pucks are cheap.

Today I'm going to finish making the u mount.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Oh ok, now I get what you're saying. I appreciate your warning. Don't stop.

This is a copy of someones mount that they claim has been working for months without issue. I'll keep a close eye on it for evidence it's starting to fail. Hockey pucks are cheap.

Today I'm going to finish making the u mount.
I'm sorry, I was missing something. If you use a u-bolt through the puck, that mount will work perfect.....I thought you had 2 bolts counter-sunk already mounted in the puck in the second pic there. You're doing a great job, it's looking very nice!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This is how my hockey puck mount ended up. It seems nice and tight, and unobtrusive looking after I painted it black.

This is a comparison of the stock mount vs my mount. Maybe a little overkill eh?

This is how my bike looks at this point. I rode it around a little today. I was tempted to tie balloons to my spokes

Last edited: