Stumped no more

GoldenMotor.com

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
I am writing this to help others who are new to the world of motorized bikes. I had problems with my bike slowly losing power and tried all kinds of things to correct the problem. It just kept getting worse. THe problem was with the muffler. The catalytic converter was so clogged the engine couldn't run correctly. With the muffler removed the engine had all kinds of power. So now I think I will take the muffler apart and remove the catalytic converter (sorry Al Gore) because the motor really ran great with the muffler removed. I guess I wanted people to know that a loss of power over time, with nothing seeming to help, indicates that the problem is not in the fuel intake (carb settings, air leaks, etc) but rather with the exhaust. Also, even though the literature that comes with the bike instructs one to use a 16:1 gas to oil mixture, in my opinion this is way too rich and ended up killing my power and causing all kinds of unneeded tinkering. I hope this is a help to someone

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That was a good test to find out what was wrong, but a proper tailpipe is important on a 2-stroke motor.
Even the kit pipes act as somewhat of an expansion chamber, which in short makes back-pressure so the raw new fuel that goes into the tailpipe on the upstroke goes back into the cylinder, thus giving you more fuel and volume for compression.

A real expansion chamber really enhances this effect, but SpookyTooth sells a standard size chrome tailpipe without the cat converter for $20.
They claim as much as 1/2 HP increase over stock but we'll see...
I have one sitting here waiting to go on either my ride or on this new 66cc kit have for my next build.

gebhardm

Jul 5, 2010
Illinois
thanks for the tip KC. I've seen that pipe at Spookytooth's website but I assumed it had a catalytic converter inside.