Howdy from electric kook.

GoldenMotor.com

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
I'm the dogman drn2from endless sphere forums. I'm the kook on the electric mongoose last week at the spooky tooth death race. Got started on Ebikes about two years ago and am totally hooked. I just joined this forum to rub shoulders with some great guys I met last week at the races. What fun to really lean into the corners with nobody in a car coming at ya.

Anybody with really basic questions about electric, I'm your guy, I spend a lot of time on ES translating engineer into english for newbies.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey Dogman, Welcome to Motorbicycling.com. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as we do.

It was a pleasure to meet you at DR, really appreciate the effort to travel to Tucson for DR. You are the official first E-Bike to participate in Death Race and really appreciate it.

I am really excited to see more E-Bikes at DR, DR is about promoting Motor assisted Bicycles and we cant do it without E-Bikes.

Really looking forward to you sharing your knowledge about E-Bikes, I know our members will really appreciate it.

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
Yeah, I really appreciated it! I hadn't had that much fun since we used to gravity race Emory Pass in the Gila back in the 70's. That's where I learned to corner, with 100 foot cliffs to punish a mistake. We used a no pedaling rule, so one touch of brakes and you lost. There is lots of interest in next year over at Endless Sphere. Hopefully Luke will make it for the next one. He races all the time, and really, lots of guys are building bikes in the 45-50 mph range. Affording the battery for a long race is the problem though. Mabye in the future enough wattheads will show up to have some electric heats only 4 laps long for those who can't go 12 laps.

Interestingly, the main didn't deplete my battery so much, but I drew so much out so fast, I was slowing down by lap 10 due to battery internal heating. Like you have seen with the gas bikes, racing is going to be a key thing for motivating us to improve everything.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
You'll be riding a gas bike too before you know it! I have one of each and it works for me! Makes those long distance rides you envision really doable. And a 4 lap race instead of a 12? cough, cough.......How about 25 hours.

Moped racing

The wide availability of previously-used but still functional small motorcycles in western societies enables and encourages cheap forms of racing, wrongly called moped racing. Dirt-racing forms of this sport is sometimes staged in the stadiums of agricultural shows, where, unlike football and athletic grounds, the surface is not too important. One popular series uses chicanes consisting of stacked large-diameter tractor tyres and requires a team of riders, each doing ten laps and then pulling into the middle of the ring for change-over. Two heats and a final, each lasting 25 minutes, can be held in one day interspersed with speedway racing and other displays. Another series once held on full-size race-tracks, including Le Mans, ran for 25 hours (typically 3.00pm one day until 4.00pm the next) and was billed as "the longest race in the world".

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
Well., I did a 60 mile ride the other day over a huge mountian. So I'm not short of battery, just short of ones I can milk of all thier power in a few minuites. The better ones cost quite a bit.

The stuff I have bought so far is aimed at riding cross continent, or at least for a long daily commute. I only suggested a shorter heat for other electric bikes to enjoy. But then, that's what the practice laps are about.

I'm not going to argue the gas vs electric thing here, both have thier different advantages. When I want to ride a gas bike, I hop on my scooter and go 60. As you guys keep upping the ante, gas may win for a long time, but every dog has it's day. When you see a real E bike you will be amazed, especially if it's me inside of you on that hairpin, and you never heard me coming at all. What I brought this time was just a pretty ordinary ebike.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I'm not going to argue the gas vs electric thing here, both have thier different advantages.
There is nothing to argue about. They both have their merits and we are all in the same camp as I see it. Kum-bi-ah.

And if I want to go sixty I just get in my van. I like the pace that motored biking allows for, I find it to fit nicely between my regular pedal bike and driving. Gives one time to stop and smell the roses if the moment arises. 30 mph is plenty fast enough for me to achieve that. But that is not racing talk.

There is a big event held every year at the Portland Int. Raceway on Memorial Day weekend by the HPV folks that features an e comp. I wanted to go last year but didn't make it and hope to again this year, especially as I live closer now. I really want to see the endurance end of this go on. Events that feature not just bikes, but any LSV class vehicle.

It would be great to see a time when it is not all about power and how much you have that wins, but rather how efficient you were along with speed.

Dogman

Apr 22, 2010
Las Cruces NM, USA
Looking at the portland int raceways website, I see the Oregon motorcycle road racing association is adding an electric class to it's racing schedule. Pretty cool.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum, Dogman. The Portland circuit was my favorite on my son's Indy racing vid game.
I also post on pointless-sphere on occasion.
I'm currently an ICE guy, but pondering my first e-build, so I look forward to benefitting from your e-experience.