loose clutch = useless bike

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
The only thing the return spring is good for is making it harder to pull the clutch lever. There is more than enough spring pressure in the clutch itself to return the lever.
Aaah, that`s cool....I just thought it was missed being put on and that`s why it wasn`t returning right....I have it on mine and can pull in the lever with one finger.....

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
This is exactly what is happening to my bike, but VERY suddenly. On a tuning ride yesterday, over the course of a few miles my clutch went from working perfectly with almost no play, to having so much play that the clutch would not fully disengage.

I am going to tear it apart today, but it is definitely not a cable issue since the tension in the clutch arm starts much later than usual.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I love the simple solutions! Since my issue came on suddenly, I was thinking that it was probably on the bucking bar side of the motor, maybe the ball bearing crapped out or the bucking bar took a dive. Everything looked fine, plenty of grease and very little wear on the bucking bar and clutch actuator arm.

So I got to thinking, what would make the bucking bar move inwards but still be tight? On a whim I used the stock spark plug wrench to check if the nut holding the bucking bar was tight, and sure enough it had backed off a few threads! So snugged that nut up tight and everything is back to normal! That is one of those nuts that I did not loctite, so there ya go...