Broken clutch lever holder?

GoldenMotor.com

shanefer

Jun 20, 2009
Arizona
Hey everybody. I've had my first kit set up for about 2 days, and today when I was showing it off to someone i was saying "and when you want the motor to turn on you engauge the clutch like this". As I did this, the little metal piece that holds the clutch lever out popped right off and fell to the ground. I managed to find the metal piece, and the spring, but I don't know what exactly should be keeping it in place and from flying out. In the meantime, I can keep my finger on it when I let out the clutch lever, but it's already fallen a few times, and I know it's just a matter of time before I lose it, or the spring for good. Any ideas on how to repair this? Or am I better off buying a new one? I tried to put the picture in here, but I can't post links until I'm an "active member of the forum". I'll try it as an attachment

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're really handy you can drill the pin and install a 1/16" cotter pin. Originally there was a 'c' clip there but the groove wasn't cut deep enough and the clip didn't hold like it was supposed to. You can replace the 'C' clip, Ace hardware should have them, but it will probably just come off again. There are better quality clutch levers available from several suppliers if you want to replace the whole thing.
Tom

shanefer

Jun 20, 2009
Arizona
If you're really handy you can drill the pin and install a 1/16" cotter pin. Originally there was a 'c' clip there but the groove wasn't cut deep enough and the clip didn't hold like it was supposed to. You can replace the 'C' clip, Ace hardware should have them, but it will probably just come off again. There are better quality clutch levers available from several suppliers if you want to replace the whole thing.
Tom
Like this one?BIKE BICYCLE ENGINE KIT NEW BRAKE CLUTCH LEVER COMBO - eBay (item 380143370542 end time Aug-26-09 10:01:52 PDT)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Looks like that one relies on you using your thumb to engage the clutch. How strong of a thumb do you have? I know mine would get tired pretty quick.

shanefer

Jun 20, 2009
Arizona
Looks like that one relies on you using your thumb to engage the clutch. How strong of a thumb do you have? I know mine would get tired pretty quick.
Yeah, it's not that strong. The only other ones I found on a quick search look the exact same as the one that came with the kit. Do you have any links to an upgraded lever?

Thanks!
Shane