Where can I find one?

GoldenMotor.com

..FriSk..

Main point -What would I find a 4-stroke horizontal motor on?

Well, I don't feel like really buying one, maybe wait till garage sales for a cheap one, and I don't mind servicing if needed. Anyhow, what would I find a 4-stroke horizontal motor on? I had a nice 7HP I was playing with hoping to attatch to a trailer that would push my bike, but then I went and blew the head gasket, or atleast I think I did.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Frisk. Pumps and power washers are normally horizontal shafted and chain saws of course. I dunno if it would work but leaf blowers are as well. Did you check out the DIY section? some great stuff and might give ya some leads.

If it is only a head gasket, thats not a biggie. But 7 HP is a lot for a MB

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
takes a couple of minuites to change a head gasket on a flathead briggs.. 1/2" socket and ratchet, and a torque wrench if you want to do it 'right' ( there simple enough, you could do it by feel and not worry ).. star pattern coming off and star pattern going on

anyway.. roto tillers, snowblowers ( should rejet carb 4 warm weather tho ).. some older lawn tractors. powered Reel mowers, tho that stuff can be valuble.. go-karts, mini bikes, preassure washers, generators, water transfer pumps and trash pumps. lawn edgers, and probably other things

..FriSk..

Mhmm thanks, should be good enough. With the economy being bad n' all I should be able to find one cheap. I have a torque wrench here, but I didn't feel like trying to take the stripped bolt's out.

The only reason for 7HP was because of the way we designed the trailer, and it's main purpose. After gearing down we came to a good conclusion it will work perfectly for what were planning on doing.The only problem we had was trying to find a way to get good traction so the trailer tire(s) don't burn out and push me all over.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool. Really enjoy seeing folks creations. Post lots of pics of your build!

Znane, a member here does a lot with pushers. He built one out of a HF engine and a hand truck. Really kool looking rig. But he has built a bunch and could probably help with the traction question.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/new-6-5hp-bicycle-trailer-7056.html

You kids and your high powered pushers! LOL, I want to build one. That and about 12 other things.

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Harbor Freight engines are Lifans and while not bad engines for the price, there certainly of an inferior quality compared to a Briggs and Stratton.. A rebuilt Briggs will far outlast a Lifan..

..FriSk..

Ya, Bridge and Straton. I've read that once for ideas on how to do it.

Mhmm, i'm thinking about taking a rider's front tire and use it for my trailer, although it may not work properly. Anyhow, I sat down today and decided to take the bolts out, was a pain in the ass, but there out now. Gonna go to the autopart's store here in town to see if they have what I need, and if not i'll have him order it for me.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
if there stripped, you will need helicoils. you could try cleaning up the threads but I doubt they would hold could clean them up so they will hold to some degree, get some studs with the right thread, epoxy them in and just tighten nuts on the studs..

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
FRISK About 15 years ago i stripped a head bolt on my chainsaw,and there was a logger working timber on the farm, he said he could fix it.He used some liquid alum. he sprayed teflon on a new bolt,filled the hole with the alum,put the bolt back in the hole,let it dry overnight he then backed the bolt out and it left the new threads.Guess it worked .I've used it for 15 years with no leaks,saved me a 1,000.00 saw.HD