4 Stroke Pros and Cons

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Love the 4 stroke and the 2 strokes. But the 4 stroke has horsepower from idle to max revs. W/ stock 16:1 total reduction I top out at 36mph. I'm working on a jackshaft version that will be capable of much higher speeds. Speed is not an issue on the 4 stroke!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
cvlt1Good Morning Civilized, Here Is Some Good And Bad Pics. Lol. Waiting For Some Small Parts To Finish. Plan On Switching Titan To Stretch Cruiser Later. Dvddtz Was Here Last Week And Made A Mess! Lol, Ha Ha. Ron ...cvlt1 PS THE OTHER 2 STROKE IS STILL ASSEMBLED, GAS TANK PROBLEMS. IT IS A BIT CONFUSING BECAUSE THE 2CYCLE CVT AND THE TITAN CVT ARE ON IDENTICAL BICYCLES.

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Thanks Ron. That answered my question. My drive line is on the other side of the bike, which explains why yours worked perfectly and mine is:-||. It should work out ok, though. Do you like the performance of the cvt?
I like the head scratching chair with the cushions beside the bike.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Good Morning Dan, Civilized- Mounted On Other Side? Is It A Cvt? Yeah, I Love My Chair And The Bike Stand. At My Age Comfort Is #1! Lol. Yes I Like The Cvt. The Free Wheel Is A Great Option On Any Build Also. Here Is Some Better Pics And One Of A 4 Wheeler That Probably Would Benifit From A Cvt, Which Is My Plan. I will put a friction drive on the red trike. then i must hunt down and capture some buyers!! Or start eating bicycles!!! RON . . . .. cvlt1

Attachments

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I hope you don't have to start eating them. That could be rough on the other end! My 4 stroke is mounted in the frame with the output shaft on the left and the pull start on the right, when sitting on the bike. That changes the direction of rotation of the output shaft. My sprocket is also on the left side of the wheel. It is a cvt that I am currently working with. Grubee and other gear boxes work fine because there are 3 axles with gear reduction which keeps the rotation on the 3rd axle the same as the engine. However, the 2nd axle is rotating opposite. This is the problem I have with the cvt. Only 2 axles and gears from the driven pulley. I have to add the 3rd. I am sure if you changed out the cvt with a grubee gear box, you would have a similar problem.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Would Prefer Left Hand Drive With A Freewheel. I Would Have To Install A Jackshaft To Accomplish It With This Style Cvt. That Would Just Be More Expense Etc. I Will Build Some Left Side Freewheel Drives With The 3.25 Ratio Gear Box ( Rear Rack Mounts Or A Copy Of Oldmotorbikes Cool In Frame Invention). Ron . . .. .cvlt1

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Civilized, I Am Not Familiar With That Gear Box. I Did Not Know It Had A Belt Inside Of It. The Cvt Tramsmission I Am Using Has A Belt And Variable Dia Pulleys. Ron.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
It doesn't have a belt, it is all gears. Lots of gears, noise, etc. That is why I wanted the cvt, along with it being variable of course.

concourse

Apr 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Calvin's kit for sale.

Really hope that helps. Any questions, fire away.
I also have been considering the honda. I want an in-frame mount like Calvin's but how does it work? Do you have to pull start it. Does the "engager" work like clutch on a chinagirl?

Thanks,

Bill

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pull start, yeppers. First pull most days, fires right up. The engager does work like the chinagirl clutch except you pull on it to go, not disengage the engine. The exact opposite of a regular clutch. I have mine set up with a spring so that it is always engaged and do not have to operate it or have a 3rd clutch handle on the handle bars. Cost $0 as I had a spring laying around. Will post pics of it if you would like. Basically, I pull start her, let warm. Then twist the throttle to go. Release the throttle and she idles. The engine turns faster then the centrifugal clutch wants to sit at idle so even at just idle, she wants to move forward.

This fall, are coming out with a new belt driven gear box. YouTube - 4 cycle 4G T Belt Drive Bicycle Engine

I really, really enjoy her.

for reference; 50cc Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit (Honda) - $499.99

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am gettin ready to do my first build and am using a honda 4 stroke for sake of reliability.

If you want an AMERICAN made gearbox with parts you can find in local shops in case of the need to repair or rebuild check this out.

http://motorbicycling.com/f37/firebe...sion-7186.html

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthre...652#post209652

I cant wait to get this done.
Any updates or did you start a thread Jared? Looking forward to seeing your build.

Like most things in life there are tradeoffs and engine choice on Mbs is no exception.
Depends on what's important to you. For me the greatest advent in the MB world has been the micro 4 stroke industrial engines made by Honda and Robin Subaru. I've settled on the Robin 35cc as my optimum choice for power-to-weight ratio, quiet exhaust note and great reliability.
HV, I have never seen or ridden a Robin Subaru. Could you tell more about them? Basic costs, mileage, speed etc. I am planing on doing some folders with small rack mounts and would really enjoy learning more about them as an option.
drn2