How to register a gas powered bike in Bay County Florida

GoldenMotor.com

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
After 2 years of building, researching and RE-building my bike to satisfy the legal requirements of a moped (for the purpose of riding my bike down public roads), I have finally achieved legitimate status and acquired registration & tags for my motorbike. The biggest problem I faced was the ignorance of the cops & agents of the DMV, it is necessary to educate them of what the law actually says about our motorbikes. Not to mention their contempt prior to investigation, a lot of them believe that because they work for the state, they know more about the law than you do. Which is why you need to study what Florida law says about our bikes and provide documentation to back up our claims. You need to use their own laws and wording against their arguments.

First of all, Florida defines a motorized bike as a bicycle with an ELECTRIC MOTOR, not a gas engine. Motorized bikes are not to exceed 20 MPH, can be driven on sidewalks and bike lanes/paths. If it has a gas engine, it is a moped, providing it has pedals, at least 2 wheels (but not more than 3), is 50 CCs or less, does NOT have more than 1 gear, does not produce power in excess of 2 HP, and does not go faster than 30 MPH. If your bike is bigger than 50 CCs, has a jackshaft & multiple gears, or goes more than 30, technically it's a motorcycle, and that requires a LOT more paperwork. Motorcycles are titled, which requires a compliance examination (and extra fees), mopeds are only registered in Florida (a lot cheaper, about 1/2 the price).

Second, mopeds require all the so called "Safety Equipment" that is required of a true motorcycle. That means a full complement of lights: Headlight with high beam (2 headlights/flashlights will suffice), tail light, brake light, license light(you can use a motorcycle tail light to satisfy the last 3 requirements), a horn, at least 1 mirror, turn signals, and front, rear and side reflectors (I used colored reflector tape). They also require a kill switch somewhere on the handlebars, in the event the throttle jams wide open or an air leak happens and the motor winds up too fast, you have to have some means of killing the motor to avoid going out of control and crashing. Florida doesn't require insurance on a moped, scooter or motorcycle.

Once you have outfitted your bike with all the necessary equipment, you need to print up some paperwork to arm yourself against their arguments. You need Florida Procedure RS-61, available online here: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-61.pdf. Get all your receipts and documentation you can find about your motor, print out the web pages of the manufacturer or retail distributor of where you got your motor. Most of us get our motors online, but if you got yours from a brick&mortar business, try asking them to give you the documentation. You will need receipts for the bike and/or frame showing the serial number, if at all possible, as well as for the motor. Bring your bike with you to the DMV, they will need to see it (to confirm the serial # matches your paperwork). It also helps if your motor is wearing an ID tag showing manufacturer's name, displacement & power output. Mine came with one, but some don't. Don't panic if yours doesn't, this hurdle can easily be overcome with a dog tag printed up with the necessary wording (China Gas Factory, 48CC/1.9 HP) from one of those automated dog tag machines commonly found in PetSmart, or a mall, or even print one up from your computer on a sheet of paper or address label, and glued, taped to the motor case. It only needs to be on there for the registration, you can remove it once you have your tags. In Florida, if your bike has been assembled and in your possession for more than 6 months, no sales tax will be owed. But if newer, be ready for that.

The DMV requires either a bill of sale, prior registration certificate (from another state maybe?), a Manufacturer's Certificate Of Origin (which most Happy Time motors don't have) or an affidavit from the applicant certifying you are the legal & rightful owner of said moped. You want the last one. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and receipts in your name confirm it. I found an affidavit online and copied it, changing only the county of residence where I live and the personal info. I've duplicated it for you to use. If you live in another county, change that to the appropriate name. Fill it out, using the bike frame serial as the serial # (this becomes your VIN # on the registration) and get it notarized. Most banks offer this service for a fee, usually no more than 10 bucks. DO NOT SIGN the affidavit until you are with the notary, or they may turn you down. They have to see you sign it before they affix their stamp.

My (blank) affidavit is available as a Word document file here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6696438330b6c2f7#cid=6696438330B6C2F7&id=6696438330B6C2F7!458
Or as a PDF file here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=6696438330b6c2f7#cid=6696438330B6C2F7&id=6696438330B6C2F7!458

Bring the RS-61,the notarized Affidavit & all your receipts to the DMV. Say you want to register a moped you made from parts.
If they say your bike is just a bicycle with a motor, show them page one Florida Statute 301.003 (2) available here: http://www.flhsmv.gov/courts/latestinfo/ScootersSegwaysMopedsandElectricBicycles.pdf

and point out the law's definition of a Moped & motorized bike. I highlighted "electric helper motor" under motorized bike statute and "internal combustion engine" on the 316.003 document to show them the difference and silence their argument. If they won't accept it, ask them to print out Procedure RS-61 from their computer and have them read it for themselves. If & when they demand a title, flip to page two of RS-61 and read section 3 - Ownership Documentation paragraph B. Florida does not title Mopeds, they ARE registered but not titled. If they want insurance, show them page 3 of RS-61, section 5.

If you come prepared with all your receipts, legal documents printed from their web sites, a notarized affidavit of ownership, the bike in question, and money, you should be able to legally register it. They may tell you, "once a bicycle, always a bicycle" and deny you just because of the frame. If yours started out just a bicycle and you put a gas motor on it, and they use this argument, then you are stuck, you cannot register it under that definition of the law. That happened to me once, which is why I ended up getting a Skyhawk GT2A frame from GasBike.net (http://www.gasbike.net/alum-bike-frame-gt-2-a.html), and brought printouts of their web page to show them it was a true motorized frame. After I had that it was never mentioned again. Bicycles do NOT come with motor mounts, fuel rails or documentation that says it is manufactured for motorizing. I was determined to get legitimized and legal and I complied with everything they demanded within the definition of the law. If they say it's because of this or that reason as to why they will not register your bike, demand that they provide documentation to back them up, then have them read the statute aloud to you. Counter every bogus denial by quoting the law, chapter & verse, prove to them when they are wrong. If they still will not relent, demand to speak to a superior. Never say bike or bicycle, the term you must use is MOPED. If they say it must be inspected, tell them that is only if you are applying for a title, mopeds are not titled.

It took me 2 years and 7 tries until I got it right. Every time I was denied, I got documentation as to why, then went home and amended it, making the appropriate tweaks, modifications and adjustments until I was in compliance with what the law demanded. Then I went back & tried again. I wasn't trying to circumvent the law or get around it, all I really wanted was to ride my bike down the road without being jacked around and hassled by "The Man". I never gave up. If I was in the wrong, I corrected it. It cost me over 2 grand to do it all, but it was worth it. That may sound outrageous to some until they actually see the bike. My bike is top shelf, equipped with not just the necessary components but the best. You get what you pay for. I didn't need flame tread tires, an iron cross tail light, 144 spoke rims, disc brakes, flame grips or flaming mirrors, but I wanted them to customize and personalize my bike. It wasn't enough to just be right, it had to be cool too. Form AND function. But that's just me. You may have to fabricate yourself an electrical system to comply with the lighting requirements, I know I did. You're on your own for that one, as no one makes a "One Size Fits All" wiring harness for our 'hobby'. But it can be done. Check around the forums, there are those willing to share how they did it. Some even provide photographic evidence and step by step tutorials or even videos.

For those Floridian's who do not have a license, carry a copy of this with you and show it to the cops if/when you get pulled over. It's been demonstrated to (sometimes) be a useful defense in Florida courts. But not always, depends on your lawyer/DA/judge.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sSEpxMYBxpxfBwpo6tP4QVHCRi9_K64ldufH8oomgTs/edit?pli=1

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
O;K' In summary you basically built a moped??? I cannot understand your wanting to do all this to just to pay money to register it? Your probably 1 in 1000 that actually wants to go through all that trouble as most just purchase their motorized bikes already assembled either for fun or to get around. lets be honest here? there are quite a few that do not have a drivers license and do not even want to go there so having that notarized copy from the DMV that James provided us is much more useful! Please do not misunderstand my post" you did a great job of proving one can register a motorized bike as Moped and i`am sure if anyone else wants to to the same will be grateful!

Last edited:

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
I cannot understand your wanting to do all this to just to pay money to register it? Your probably 1 in 1000 that actually wants to go through all that trouble as most just purchase their motorized bikes already assembled either for fun or to get around.
I went through all that trouble because I live in an area where cops are openly & aggressively hateful towards unregistered MBers. When a cop fondles the butt of his firearm and tells you he's going to arrest you and have your "Abomination" fed into a crusher, it makes one think twice before going out on public roads without tags.

I did not want just another common moped or scooter. I live in a gulf beach tourist town, we have dozens of shops that rent scooters to the public and the roads are clogged with them. I wanted something different, something that stands out from a crowd, something that showcases my skill, style and personality. I wanted a cross between the original classic Harleys (they were pedal start too!) and Easy Rider, a chopper. Nobody makes those! So I did. I'm not a scofflaw, I've been to jail before & I didn't like it at all, it is an experience I do not wish to repeat. And after all the time, money and work invested in making this bike, I don't want to lose it.

lets be honest here? there are quite a few that do not have a drivers license and do not even want to go there so having that notarized copy from the DMV that James provided us is much more useful! Please do not misunderstand my post" you did a great job of proving one can register a motorized bike as Moped and i`am sure if anyone else wants to to the same will be grateful!
I do understand that there are those who do not or cannot get a driver's license, and what with the laws being what they are here in Florida, they are not doing me any service! In my humble opinion, they make those of us who DO comply with the law look bad! Florida law defines "Motorized Bikes" as electric powered, no faster than 20 MPH - no license required. But if it has a gas motor, it's a moped, and DOES require a license. Page 28 of Florida Procedure TL-10 (available HERE: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF) says that bolting on a motor doesn't make it a moped unless issues such as the frame & "Safety Equipment"(lights, mirrors, horn) must be addressed before they will register it, which I did BECAUSE I WANTED TO LEGALLY RIDE MY BIKE!!! And now I can. Now when cops stop me, it's to ask where I got it and/or how I did it. Before, they gave me all sorts of grief over the lack of tags, what defines a "motorized bike" and the legality of their operation on public roads. To me, it's worth paying a few extra dollars so I do not have to live under a cloud of fear every time I take my bike out for a ride. That document I provided at the end of my previous post has also failed the acid test in the courtrooms a time or two, so it's no insurance that the cops won't jack with you. If they don't see a tag, it's an invitation for them to pull you over, and even if you do manage to get out of the ticket, you've still been stopped, delayed and had your name run through the system. It may have worked once or twice, but it is no guarantee. Until Florida legislature changes the rules and says we can ride these things without a license, I will do all I can to stay in compliance with the law. My life goes so much more smoother when I do.

RonB

Jan 30, 2011
Largo florida
The cop actually said he was going to feed your abomination to the crusher?? WOW"[ (quote) But if it has a gas motor, it's a moped, and DOES require a license. Page 28 of Florida Procedure TL-10 (available HERE: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF) says that bolting on a motor doesn't make it a moped unless issues such as the frame & "Safety Equipment"(lights, mirrors, horn) must be addressed before they will register it, which I did BECAUSE I WANTED TO LEGALLY RIDE MY BIKE!!! ] Where does it say that if it has a gas motor it is a moped??? Mopeds have to be registered> YES! but Bikes remain bikes because they have no Titles .certificate of origin and do NOT meet motor vehicle safety standards as stated by BY the DMV they do not say specifically just electric driven either " the laws regarding electric operated vehicles were re written specifically to allow the use of a electric people movers such as mobility scooters and segways so they may be operated on sidewalks. really now' there is no difference between electric or gas driven is there? a motor is a motor !

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
The definition of bicycle includes the phrase " any device generally regarded as a bicycle", since this doesnt include or exclude gas powered engines it is very broad. The argument is, since it was purchased as a bicycle it remains a bicycle.

The definition of Motor Vehicle excludes specifically Any bicycle.

The definition of Motorcycle specifies Any motorvehicle. It also doesnt define engine size. It also excludes mopeds and tractors only. Not any motorized vehicle and since the def of Motorvehicle excludes Any bicycle, my bicycle is still just a bicycle.

Its not a moped because my engine is bigger than allowed for mopeds.

The best overall argument is that Mopeds and Motorcycles are purpose built and are designed to pass govt inspection. They include frame assemblies designed to withstand the stresses and safety features. They have vin numbers. Gas powered bicycles are not specifically identified and therefore do not exist. Experimental, homebuilt "vehicles" are also not defined. Therefore the ONLY definition that exists for these things is simply bicycle.

A bicycle isnt titled, registered and doesnt require a liscence to operate. They are legal to ride on streets as long as you follow all the laws governing traffic.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Dave,
I thought I posted here, guess not.
Nice ride!
Kudos to you and your efforts.
My journey to a registered (and tagged)homemade gas motorized moped was simpler, but I do appreciate your detailed overview for the benefit of the forum.
Thank you.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I went through all that trouble because I live in an area where cops are openly & aggressively hateful towards unregistered MBers. When a cop fondles the butt of his firearm and tells you he's going to arrest you and have your "Abomination" fed into a crusher, it makes one think twice before going out on public roads without tags.

I did not want just another common moped or scooter. I live in a gulf beach tourist town, we have dozens of shops that rent scooters to the public and the roads are clogged with them. I wanted something different, something that stands out from a crowd, something that showcases my skill, style and personality. I wanted a cross between the original classic Harleys (they were pedal start too!) and Easy Rider, a chopper. Nobody makes those! So I did. I'm not a scofflaw, I've been to jail before & I didn't like it at all, it is an experience I do not wish to repeat. And after all the time, money and work invested in making this bike, I don't want to lose it.

I do understand that there are those who do not or cannot get a driver's license, and what with the laws being what they are here in Florida, they are not doing me any service! In my humble opinion, they make those of us who DO comply with the law look bad! Florida law defines "Motorized Bikes" as electric powered, no faster than 20 MPH - no license required. But if it has a gas motor, it's a moped, and DOES require a license. Page 28 of Florida Procedure TL-10 (available HERE: http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF) says that bolting on a motor doesn't make it a moped unless issues such as the frame & "Safety Equipment"(lights, mirrors, horn) must be addressed before they will register it, which I did BECAUSE I WANTED TO LEGALLY RIDE MY BIKE!!! And now I can. Now when cops stop me, it's to ask where I got it and/or how I did it. Before, they gave me all sorts of grief over the lack of tags, what defines a "motorized bike" and the legality of their operation on public roads. To me, it's worth paying a few extra dollars so I do not have to live under a cloud of fear every time I take my bike out for a ride. That document I provided at the end of my previous post has also failed the acid test in the courtrooms a time or two, so it's no insurance that the cops won't jack with you. If they don't see a tag, it's an invitation for them to pull you over, and even if you do manage to get out of the ticket, you've still been stopped, delayed and had your name run through the system. It may have worked once or twice, but it is no guarantee. Until Florida legislature changes the rules and says we can ride these things without a license, I will do all I can to stay in compliance with the law. My life goes so much more smoother when I do.
Hi SuperDave,

Whats your thoughts on the following link?

http://flbikelaw.org/2013/07/bikes-with-gas-assist-motors-something-new/

Thank you.
Respectfully,
WorksmanFL

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
i Live in Florida as-well,I am looking to register my bike in about 4-5 months because i have been stoped 3+ times and i want to be legal now,
I am wondering if this can still be done and if so not including bike cost how much does it cost at the DMV.

I also am wondering how fast does the bike need to go is there a minimum speed or a max speed.

Another thing is for the tail lights brake lights and turning signals would something like this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in1-Bike-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2e777c6a&vxp=mtr

Im also wondering can they decline to give me a tag just because it looks like a bike even thought it has everything it needs to be legal( I know to call it a homebuilt mo-ped)

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
If your engine is 49cc you dont need to register it. If your engine is larger than 49cc they wont register it and it isnt legal to operate on public roads....yet. Cops dont give a rats ass about the actual law, they follow the summary card given to them by their superiors and are gonna follow it no matter what, since they prefer to keep their jobs. You need a valid drivers liscence to operate the bike on public roads, even the 49cc. They got me on two counts relating to my suspended liscence and one count of unliscenced motorvehicle since my engine is greater than 49cc. I am awaiting another court date and then a trial date to fight my case however you dont want any of this action let me tell you. Its best to avoid it all together. You can build a bike from scratch I have heard, using a heavy duty frame that has a serial number and manufacturers paperwork etc in order to meet the qualifications for a home built motorvehicle similar to how a custom motorcycle builder would register their creations. Good Luck and invest in some rearview mirrors and dont be afraid to cut the engine if you see a cop! they are called pigs for a reason...

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
If your engine is 49cc you dont need to register it. If your engine is larger than 49cc they wont register it and it isnt legal to operate on public roads....yet. Cops dont give a rats ass about the actual law, they follow the summary card given to them by their superiors and are gonna follow it no matter what, since they prefer to keep their jobs. You need a valid drivers liscence to operate the bike on public roads, even the 49cc. They got me on two counts relating to my suspended liscence and one count of unliscenced motorvehicle since my engine is greater than 49cc. I am awaiting another court date and then a trial date to fight my case however you dont want any of this action let me tell you. Its best to avoid it all together. You can build a bike from scratch I have heard, using a heavy duty frame that has a serial number and manufacturers paperwork etc in order to meet the qualifications for a home built motorvehicle similar to how a custom motorcycle builder would register their creations. Good Luck and invest in some rearview mirrors and dont be afraid to cut the engine if you see a cop! they are called pigs for a reason...
So if my engine is 49cc and i have a licenses i can drive it on the road even in florida?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
In the state of florida an officer will usually consider it a moped so as long as its under 49cc with a top speed of 30mph it needs no tag. You still need a valid drivers liscence though. No matter what, if I see a cop, Im cutting the engine and pedaling.

Dobzeh

Apr 8, 2013
Florida
In the state of florida an officer will usually consider it a moped so as long as its under 49cc with a top speed of 30mph it needs no tag. You still need a valid drivers liscence though. No matter what, if I see a cop, Im cutting the engine and pedaling.[/Q

I try to do that but the 3 times iv been stopped all undercover cops and when your ride do you ride in the bike lane or far right of the road.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
yeah, cause they hear the engine and dont see a tag. Plus they are all on the lookout for us illegals! Its intimidation to discourage the practice. You must follow all the same rules of the road as a car would. that includes hand signals if you dont have lights, a head light and a brake light, the brake light must always be on when riding. No flashers, just solid light. You ride in the road to the far right near the curb or in the bike lane. Cars must give you 3 feet of road if they want to pass. Funny that we get stopped but Ive never seen the ahole who cut me off or passed to close get pulled over.