Thread Locking Compounds aka LocTite

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There is always some disagreement over the use or the non use of thread locking compounds. The best known of these is the brand name, Loctite.
Here's a link to some very good information regarding this product > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6957

I came across this card that has some additional info that you might find informative. I personally do not use thread locking products on any engine fastener but I have used the light duty, Blue #242 or the Green #290 on fender brackets and chain guard fasteners. I have no use for the Red #262 on either my bikes or cars.

Tom

Attachments

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
OOOOOO, I found a use for red loctite on my bike! I wanted to lock a socket head screw into a coupling nut for my Puch head. The red stuff should only be used only where a perminant bond is required. Using it on stock hardware is a recipe for disaster. It really is that strong.

Another loctite product like threadlocker is retaining compound. This is used to hold slip fit parts together. Dowel pins in holes, bearing cups in worn seats, or maybe a sprocket adaptor on a hub.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My wife's brother in law gave me a bottle of red loctite probably a year ago or more. I have used it in a few places, usually in stripped holes. I also use it on the nut that holds my choke assembly in place, because my choke lever likes to work itself loose and choke my engine when I dont need it to. I have to re-apply the loctite every so often, and I can only assume that its because the gasoline weakens the loctite.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I got an upgraded hardware set this spring, used red loctite on stud/block junctions, then used blue loctite on stud/nut junctions. I had torn down/rebuilt my motor last winter after about 1,000 miles the first year over which it seemed I was always tightening a loose something or other. This year after using loctite I have put about 800 miles on the motor and not had to re-torque one bolt yet. This winter I have the option to put the bike away in one piece because everything is tight and running well, no issues to work on over the winter...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've been using loctite (or equivalent) for decades on all sorts of motored builds and non-motored bikes as well. If the nut isn't a nyloc or other locking type, loctite is a must in many applications. On my 212cc race bike there are a few fasteners that require the dreaded red permanent strength loctite......or some tie-wire. Sometimes it's neccesary to get out the torch and apply a little heat for removing hardware locked with the red.......better safe than sorry I always say ;)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Lol....I've used a lighter to get red loctite loose on a pipe hanger. I dont have a torch. I only use a drop of the red stuff on each nut and bolt, so after a few minutes with the lighter, they all came loose, thankfully.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I use the Blue stuff on intake plenums to automobiles. Some bolts require it to prevent vacuum leaks on the intake as air is reported by the manufactures instructions to get past the threads.

I use it on the clutches when I assemble them on automobile ''car'' clutches.

On ford Rear axles ''that ten mm bolt'' inside the pumpkin . Chevy too.

The manufacture has grades of lock tight on a variety of their hardware including the brakes.

I use red on my Morini clutch. I just take it apart when the clutch is warm.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Affirmative on the gasoline and loctite. Would there be a way for you to use a jam nut, or safety wire on the choke nut?
Thank God I live in California. If a choke lever gets too loose on one of my engines, I simply remove the offending POS. It never really gets cold enough to acually need a choke here. And if it does get REAL cold, I'm probably not going riding anyway. But I guess if you need yer choke, Then h*ll yes, locktite the stuffins out of it.
I think the reason it keeps coming loose, (could be wrong,) is because the carb is made of a softer metal, (not steel,) and any use of it will wear a minute layer of metal away. Then of course, it's loose again.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Thank God I live in California. If a choke lever gets too loose on one of my engines, I simply remove the offending POS. It never really gets cold enough to acually need a choke here. And if it does get REAL cold, I'm probably not going riding anyway. But I guess if you need yer choke, Then h*ll yes, locktite the stuffins out of it.
I think the reason it keeps coming loose, (could be wrong,) is because the carb is made of a softer metal, (not steel,) and any use of it will wear a minute layer of metal away. Then of course, it's loose again.
fatdaddy.
I live in PA. I thought about removing the choke lever, but two thoughts occurred to me. The first thought was that it would throw off the air/fuel ratio because more air would get in through the hole. However, I thought to myself to solve this dilemma by removing the choke itself, but leaving the rest of the assembly intact. As to the wearing a layer of metal away after repeated use, it is a sound theory. However, I dont think it applies to me, because I hardly ever use my choke. Even in the middle of winter, I just keep pedaling while trying to start until the engine warms up enough to run on its own. But the second thought that occurred to me was, what if I might need the choke one day? I would rather have it there and not need it, than need it and not have it. So, I loctite it and leave it alone unless I need it.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I live in PA. I thought about removing the choke lever, but two thoughts occurred to me. The first thought was that it would throw off the air/fuel ratio because more air would get in through the hole. However, I thought to myself to solve this dilemma by removing the choke itself, but leaving the rest of the assembly intact. As to the wearing a layer of metal away after repeated use, it is a sound theory. However, I dont think it applies to me, because I hardly ever use my choke. Even in the middle of winter, I just keep pedaling while trying to start until the engine warms up enough to run on its own. But the second thought that occurred to me was, what if I might need the choke one day? I would rather have it there and not need it, than need it and not have it. So, I loctite it and leave it alone unless I need it.
Taking the choke off won't allow more air in, unless yer counting that itty bitty hole the choke screw goes through. (liquid steel). But your right about one thing fer sher, Ya can't use what ya don't have. In a pinch I've used a twist tie to hold it down. It really sucks to have yer choke come on at 35mph. Makes ya think something just went wrong with yer engine.
fatdaddy.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
A little trick i use on nuts that I don,t want to come loose , and when i don,t want to use locktight or a double nut .

get a ball bearing just a bit bigger than the thread in the nut . put the ball bearing in one side of the nut ( a center punch works good too ) , and give it a little wack with a hammer , and peen the last thread a little bit . when putting it together , put the good end of the thread on first .

Not a good idea , if you have to wind the nut over a lot of thread lenght .

Not a good idea on soft stainless bolts , or crappy galvanized bolts that break easy .

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
In an emergency to get me through the week until I can find a replacement, I used Loctite on an axel nut for my rear wheel. I could just leave it there, but the threads are stripped, so It will have to go.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I think I may remove my choke lever also or red loctite it.
All you have to do is cover the intake holes on the air cleaner with your hand too get the same choking effect.I do it all the time on my old weed eater thats missing the choke lever:)